Pac-12 all-stars outscore USA national team

Four swimmers represented ASU at the USA Swimming College Challenge

s3.jpg

ASU freshman Cameron Smith competes ion the 200m freestyle at the Sun Devil swim and dive team's inter squad scrimmage on Friday, Oct 6, 2017, at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Complex in Tempe, Arizona.

Four ASU swimmers competed at the USA College Challenge, a meet where Pac-12 all-stars went head to head with the USA Swimming National team on Saturday and Sunday at Uytengsu Aquatics Center in Los Angeles.

ASU sophomore Cameron Craig placed first swimming as a member of the men's 800 relay team and the men's 400 freestyle relay. Craig also placed fifth in the men's 100 freestyle and third in the men's 200 freestyle. 

Sophomore Kendall Dawson placed sixth in the women's 500 freestyle event and fourth in the women's 800 relay.

Sophomore Silja Kansakoski swam as a member of the women's Pac-12 400 medley relay team that finished second. Individually, Kansakoski finished seventh in the women's 200 breaststroke.

Senior Christian Lorenz competed in the men's 200 breaststroke and placed fourth.

Swimmers on the USA Swimming National Team only finished first in six out of sixteen events. After day one on Saturday, the Pac-12 women lead 95-53 while the men trailed at 88-60 for a combined score of 155-141.

On the second day of the competition, the Pac-12 team continued to outdo the USA national team. 

When the USA College Challenge concluded on Sunday, the Pac-12 had outscored the USA National Team 326.5-286.5. 

The meet featured 13 individual races with four relays including a mixed-gender relay. 

The women's side featured dominant performances from Stanford's Katie Ledecky and University of California's Kathleen Baker

Dawson swam the anchor leg in the 400 freestyle relay that placed fourth while, individually, Kansakoski finished seventh in the women's 200 breaststroke and sixth in the 100 breaststroke.

Senior Christian Lorenz placed sixth in the 100 breast stroke.

Team USA fell to 1-1 for the USA College Challenge – last year, they defeated the collegiate all-star swimmers from the Big Ten

Looking ahead, the ASU swim and dive team will have a big weekend as they begin Pac-12 play against the Utah Utes on Friday, Oct. 27, and they will have a quick turnaround with an out-of-conference meet against Florida State on Saturday, Oct. 28 in Tempe. 

Reach the reporter at nsheehy@asu.edu or follow @nsheehy_nick on Twitter.

×