The Crepe Club cooks up sweet treats at new second location

What started out as a food cart has grown to two brick-and-mortar locations

IMG_4248.jpg

Students wait outside the Crepe Club on the Tempe campus on Monday, Nov. 6, 2017. 

The Crepe Club has expanded its business on campus once again, offering fresh crepes to students who pass the new shop near Manzanita Hall.

Getting its start as a cart outside of Memorial Union, The Crepe Club first opened a brick-and-mortar location on campus in early 2017. The new on campus location, called The Crepe Club Express Branch, opened on Oct. 13, 2017.

Read More: From cart to suite: Proud ASU alumni spark growth in local crêperie business 

Fares Tarabichi, one of three brothers who own The Crepe Club and an ASU alumnus, said Aramark reached out to him when the building at the new location became available. 

Tarabichi said Aramark asked him to have the new location operational in time for ASU Family Weekend, giving him about two weeks to get the restaurant stocked and opened.

“We love being on (the) ASU campus, so I could not say no,” Tarabichi said, “I had to work about 18 hours a day for two weeks, but it’s worth it.”

The older on-campus location is by Wexler hall, about half a mile away from the new one; Tarabichi said having the locations so close together makes it easy to keep control of operations and prioritize the customer.

“These two stores complement each other so well,” Tarabichi said.

Read More: Crepes on campus: The Crepe Club provides new food options on Tempe campus

Tarabichi said he is proud to have multiple locations on campus, just like Starbucks.

“If I am in the same conversation as Starbucks, I must be doing something right,” he said. 

Biological sciences freshman and The Crepe Club Express Branch team member Yesenia Lizbeth Cruz said students express a lot of enthusiasm when they come into the restaurant, telling her they want to come by every night.

“When they do find out that we’re open they’re really happy,” Cruz said. 

Jeremy Bassham, a freshman politics and the economy major who works at The Crepe Club Express Branch, said that people see crepes as the kind of thing they treat themselves to while relaxing and that the restaurant provides busy students with a quick treat when they’re short on time.

“It’s very fast-paced,” Bassham said, “I feel like Fares really saw an opportunity to get fast crepes, especially around here.”

“I love the Biscoff spread with strawberries, that’s my favorite,” said Briana Fodor, a kinesiology sophomore that works at The Crepe Club. 

Fodor also said she enjoys the paninis offered by The Crepe Club, and as a vegetarian she often gets the caprese panini.

Tarabichi said he loves to interact with the students who come into both locations and he would like to have the opportunity to open a location on the downtown Phoenix campus.

“I bleed maroon and gold every day, that’s what an ASU education does to you,” Tarabichi said. “I encourage everyone to come taste what an ASU education tastes like.”

Correction: An earlier version of this article had the incorrect spelling of Fares Tarabichi's last name. The article has been updated to reflect the changes.

Reach the reporter at jlneff1@asu.edu or follow @jennaleeneff on Twitter. 

×