ASU women's soccer ends season with loss to University of Arizona

Mader's goal was not enough as the Wildcats prevailed in Thursday's match

36312_110416002054_orcuttf.jpg

ASU freshman forward Olivia Hernandez (11) fights off two Wildcat defenders to try and get a shot off in the first half of a game versus the Arizona Wildcats in Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, Nov. 4, 2016.

ASU women's soccer (5-11-3, 2-7-2 Pac-12) lost to the University of Arizona (10-4-4, 7-2-2 Pac-12) 2-1 in the final game of the season, which was a battle for the first point in the Territorial Cup.

UA freshman midfielder Amanda Porter and freshman forward Hanna Clifford each tallied a goal for the Wildcats.

ASU senior forward Jazmarie Mader scored her first goal of the season – the lone goal for the Sun Devils in Thursday night's game.

ASU freshman keeper Nikki Panas returned in goal after missing the previous match against University of Washington due to an undisclosed illness.

The Wildcats out shot the Sun Devils 15 to 8 and forced Panas into six saves on the night. UA junior keeper Lainey Burdett was forced into four saves with six shots on goal.

Throughout the first half, the Sun Devils defensively stayed organized and limited the Wildcats to long-range efforts.

ASU head coach Graham Winkworth explained that he believed his team did well defensively despite being outshot by the Wildcats.

"It isn't necessarily a reflection of the game and a lot of Arizona's chances were coming from distance," Winkworth said.

Winkworth added that he was pleased with the performance of his back three and holding midfielders against an explosive front three from Arizona.

In the 38th minute, the Wildcats broke through and Clifford scored from six yards out.

Arizona kept the pressure throughout most of the second half until Mader pulled one back for the Sun Devils in the 68th minute of play. Mader was set loose on a through ball which left her isolated one-on-one, and with a simple cut, she curled it into the top right corner.

"I saw my entire senior season flash before my eyes – I have been trying to score since the beginning," Mader said after the game. "Watching it go in, finally go in, is probably the best feelings I've ever had."

However, it was not enough as Arizona struck back about five minutes later with the game winner. Porter found herself on the end of a through ball and shot it low to the near post with just enough power to get it past Panas.

ASU junior left back/forward Jemma Purfield explained that this game showed how far the team has come since the start of the season. 

"I think as a team we were absolutely brilliant tonight and that was probably one of our best performances," Purfield said. "I think we can be good next year. We gotta regroup (and) rebuild. It's the first season under a new coaching staff and the first year for myself too."

Reach the reporter at jaramo12@asu.edu or follow @hor_hay10 on Twitter.  

×