Instant Recap: ASU men's basketball uses second half to spark a blowout win

Tra Holder and Shannon Evans II lead ASU men's basketball in win over San Diego State

DSC_3976.jpg

ASU junior forward De'quon Lake (35) shoots a layup during the first half of ASU's win over SDSU on Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2017 at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona.

After a rough first half, ASU (2-0) picked up its defensive intensity and came out of half-time to route San Diego State (1-1) 90-68 on Tuesday night at Wells Fargo Arena. 

The Sun Devil victory was led by senior guard Tra Holder, who starred with 24 points on 7 for 14 shooting. He also shot 47 percent from three-point range. 

ASU junior forward De'Quon Lake provided ASU with momentum and an early 7-0 run after blocking three shots within a five-minute timespan. 

Lake also blocked San Diego State junior guard Devin Watson, then followed with a putback to complete an and-one. It forced the Aztecs to call a timeout with 11 minutes to go in the first half. 

Lake finished the game with 15 points in 15 minutes of action.

The visitors refused to give up, as they went on a 13-2 run to tie the game at 28 with five minutes to go in the first half. During that run, ASU only scored a pair of free throws and were held scoreless for four minutes. 

San Diego State junior forward Max Montana torched the Sun Devils from beyond the arc, anchoring their 40-34 lead at the half. He entered the game after the timeout at the 11 minutes mark, and in that time, made four of six three pointers. He finished the game with 15 points.

ASU, however, was inefficient from three-point range in the first half – making 16 percent on 2 for 12 shooting. They also struggled capitalizing on points off turnovers, only converting six points off of nine turnovers in the first half. 

At the beginning of the second half, ASU was in desperate need of yet another early momentum change to give its offense life – senior guard Shannon Evans II did just that. 

He went on a 7-0 run himself, which included a much needed three to cut the lead to one. Holder then gave ASU a lead of 49-47 with a three of his own. 

The home team mirrored Evans’ execution by going on a 22-2 run over six minutes and 49 seconds, to break the game open, and give ASU a 76-52 lead with seven minutes left in the second half. 

ASU kept building on the lead until the last buzzer went off, as San Diego State failed to make a run of their own. Next, the Sun Devils will host Northern Arizona on Friday, Nov. 17 at 6 p.m.

Reach the reporter at fcorral1@asu.edu or follow @felipecorraljr on Twitter.  

×