ASU women's golf finished third in the East Lake Cup

Olivia Mehaffey shot one-under in stroke play and dominated match play

golf.jpg

ASU then-freshman Madison Kerley sinks the putt on the ninth green Friday, April 8, 2016 during the 2016 Ping ASU Invitational at Karsten Golf Course in Tempe, Arizona.

The No.7 ASU women’s golf team finished third in the East Lake Cup Invitational in Atlanta, Georgia on Wednesday with a two-win, one-loss and two-draw ending.

The East Lake Cup featured ASU, Northwestern, Stanford and USC. All teams placed in the top four of the NCAA tournament in May of last season. 

On Monday, the Sun Devils finished stroke play shooting +13 (301) as a team. ASU was the No. 4 seed and faced No. 1 Stanford Tuesday.

Sophomore Olivia Mehaffey finished stroke play shooting one-under par and ended in a four-way tie for second place on Monday. 

"Olivia, from top to bottom, had a beautiful round of golf," head coach Missy Farr-Kaye said in an interview with Sun Devil Athletics

The Sun Devils entered match play Tuesday, facing semifinal opponent from the NCAA semifinals and Pac-12 foe, the Stanford Cardinal. Stanford flipped the script from last year’s semifinal’s, winning 3-2 to face the No. 2 USC Trojans.

Mehaffey defeated Stanford sophomore Madie Chou, giving the Sun Devils a quick 1-0 lead over Stanford. 

"She just loves to be in the number one slot, and I just don't see any way she'd change that,” Farr-Kaye said in an interview with Sun Devil Athletics. “She’s just so good at it, so she wanted to go out, get the point and then support her team."

The Sun Devils entered Wednesday with a rematch of May’s national title match against the Northwestern Wildcats. 

The final tournament of the fall season ended on a high note for the Sun Devils. Mehaffey continued her dominance over the three days with another win. She defeated Northwestern junior Stephanie Lau, and gave the Sun Devils another early lead over Northwestern. 

The 2-1-2 win over Northwestern sealed ASU’s third place finish and concluded a strong fall season for the Sun Devils. 

ASU women’s golf will have two months off before facing the Denver Pioneers at Superstition Mountain in Gold Canyon, AZ on Jan. 28.

Reach the reporter at sbemanue@asu.edu or follow @SebastianEman24 on Twitter. 

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter. 

×