Pac-12 Power Rankings: ASU and UA have mixed results with Territorial Cup on the horizon

This week's Pac-12 Power Rankings

usc.jpg

USC wide receiver Tyler Vaughns (21) catches a touchdown pass between USC redshirt junior defensive back Dasmond Tautalatasi (30) and sophomore safety Kobe Williams (5) during the first half of the game on Saturday, Oct. 28, 2017 at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

USC and Stanford emerged victorious in hard-fought games against their regional rivals over the weekend, and unless Washington State defeats Washington in the Apple Cup, then the Cardinal will face the Trojans in the Pac-12 Football Championship Game.

Graphic published on Monday, Nov. 20, 2017.

Here are this week's rankings:

1) No. 11 USC Trojans (10-2, 8-1 Pac-12) Last week: 1 

USC is a lock to represent the South division in the Pac-12 Football Championship Game, and flexed its muscles against UCLA, winning 28-23. 

2) No. 14 Washington State Cougars (9-2, 6-2 Pac-12) Last week: 2

The Cougars had a bye over the weekend, but if they win against in-state foe Washington on Saturday, then they will play the Trojans for the conference title.

3) No. 22 Stanford Cardinal (8-3, 7-2 Pac-12) Last week: 3

With its 17-14 victory over Cal, Stanford is done with Pac-12 regular season play. The Cardinal will host No. 8 Notre Dame this weekend and need Washington to beat WSU for a chance to play USC in the conference championship.

4) No. 18 Washington Huskies (9-2, 6-2 Pac-12) Last week: 4

UW had quite a scare against Utah, but came out on top 33-30. The Huskies scored ten points in the final minute of the game, including a game-winning field goal from kicker Tristan Vizcaino, who had previously missed a field goal and an extra point in the game.

5) Arizona Wildcats (7-4, 5-3 Pac-12) Last week: 5

If Arizona quarterback Khalil Tate plays well, then Arizona as a team plays well. Tate had his worst game of the season against the Oregon Ducks, gaining only 32 rushing yards and throwing two interceptions. Not surprisingly, UA lost 48-28 to Oregon.

6) Arizona State Sun Devils (6-5, 5-3 Pac-12) Last week: 7

The Sun Devils led 30-7 at half against Oregon State, marking their best performance in a half this season. ASU gave up two fourth quarter touchdowns to OSU but held on to win 40-24, clinching a trip to a bowl game in the process.

7) Oregon Ducks (6-5, 3-5 Pac-12) Last week: 9

Much like Arizona, the Ducks are also very quarterback dependent. Lucky for them, starting quarterback Justin Herbert returned against UA, leading Oregon to a 48-28 win with two touchdowns, one rushing and one passing.

8) UCLA Bruins (5-6, 3-5 Pac-12) Last week: 6

The Bruins suffered a 28-23 to Los Angeles rival USC over the weekend, and to make things worse, UCLA now has a job opening as former head coach Jim Mora was fired on Sunday.

9) Utah Utes (5-6, 2-6 Pac-12) Last week: 10

Utah tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it did not really matter because Washington managed to mount an excellent comeback and win 33-30 on a last-second field goal. It has been a rough season full of close losses for the Utes, but they can still make a bowl game with a win over Colorado this Saturday.

10) California Golden Bears (5-6, 2-6 Pac-12) Last week: 8

Cal has also lost its fair share of close games and that trend did not change in its 17-14 loss to Stanford. If the Bears beat UCLA on Saturday they will be bowl eligible.

11) Colorado Buffaloes (5-6, 2-6 Pac-12) Last week: 11

Colorado was off over the weekend, with its last regular season game against Utah, where the Buffaloes will have a chance to earn their sixth win and a bowl game in the process.

12) Oregon State Beavers (1-10, 0-8 Pac-12) Last week: 12

The Beavers are the only Pac-12 team without any chance of playing in a bowl game, and they played to their dismal record in a 40-24 loss to ASU. OSU faces Oregon on Saturday afternoon in the Civil War, with the only thing on the line being state pride.

Reach the reporter at mpharri7@asu.edu or follow @Harris_Mark7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×