T-Pain to perform at Devilpalooza 2018

The iconic rapper and singer is this year's performer for PAB's annual student concert

Tpain.jpg

T-Pain performs at Supafest in Sydney, Australia on April 15, 2012.

Get hype for the Programming and Activities Board’s biggest event of the year - T-Pain, the "Rappa Ternt Sanga," will be at ASU on Feb. 24 as the headliner for Devilpalooza 2018. 

The annual event, presented by PAB in collaboration with USG, will feature games, rides, vendors and performances by two opening acts before T-Pain takes the stage.

T-Pain is widely known for his rapping and signature auto-tuned singing in the early 2000s including iconic hits like “Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin’),” “Up Down (Do This All Day)” and his feature on Flo Rida’s “Low.”

T-Pain released an album in November 2017 titled “Oblivion” and a remix (or “T-mix”) of Kodak Black and XXXTentacion’s “Roll in Peace” released on Jan. 22. He reportedly also plans to release more music later in 2018.

T-Pain has notably received recognition for his NPR Tiny Desk Concert in 2014 in which he sang some of his hit songs sans auto-tune. The video has almost 12 million views on Youtube and showcased his ability as a singer and performer.

Jeewon Park, director of Devilpalooza for PAB and a supply chain management junior, said that the board is changing the layout of the event this year to allow students to better engage with vendors and activities before the performances begin.

PAB will also be presenting a Battle of the Bands competition on Feb. 1 at 7 p.m. in the Student Pavilion, the winner of which will perform as one of T-Pain's openers. 

Park said he is excited about having T-Pain as this year’s performer and by the positive reactions that the announcement has received so far.

“We thought T-Pain would be a good choice because he’s someone everyone knows and everyone could enjoy,” he said.

Park said they haven’t discussed the specifics of T-Pain’s performance yet, but he expects that students will get to enjoy many of his “throwback hits.”

Devilpalooza is free and students can reserve tickets here. Each student also can reserve one extra ticket to bring a guest who is not an ASU student.

"It’s gonna be lit," Park said.

Reach the reporter at abpotter@asu.edu and follow @lexipotter04 on Twitter. 

×