Sun Devil gymnastics earns first road victory of the season

Led by freshman Cairo Leonard-Baker, the Sun Devils took down No. 16 West Virginia 196.475-195.875

38762_022517000948_orcuttf.jpg

ASU senior Nichelle Christopherson during her floor routine during a gymnastics meet against the no. 5 ranked Utah Utes in Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2017. ASU lost the meet 197.600 to 194.850.

The No. 14 ASU women’s gymnastics team traveled to No. 16 West Virginia for their first road meet of the season. 

The Sun Devils came into the meet after an impressive season opener last weekend where the Gym Devils finished second with a solid 194.675, knocking off then No. 14 Auburn, No. 20 Iowa and Iowa State. 

The Sun Devils began their day on bars with freshman Cairo Leonard-Baker leading with a career high 9.925 followed by junior Anne Kuhm who earned herself a 9.825. 

Leonard-Baker continued her success throughout the day much like her debut tournament Jan. 6, improving from a 9.750 to a 9.825 on vault. Junior Morgan Wilson led the Sun Devils on vault with a 9.850, improving .50 from her score in the previous tournament.

The Mountaineers dominated overall on vault with junior Kirah Koshinski and senior Zaakira Muhammad earning 9.900 and 9.850 respectively.

Midway through the meet the Sun Devils and Mountaineers were neck and neck with the Gym Devils leading by .100 points. Leonard-Baker led the Devils with another career high performance on floor. With a fun and energetic routine, the freshman earned a 9.900 followed by Kuhm who earned a 9.875.

The Sun Devils dominated on bars as well with sophomore Ashley Szafranski leading the way with a 9.900. She was followed by Mountaineer Muhammad who earned a 9.875.

Muhammad earned several awards for the Mountaineers in the meet including second place in vault, beam and all-around.

Leonard-Baker earned three first place awards with a 9.925 on bars, 9.900 on floor and an all-around score of 39.475. 

Szafranski earned a first place finish on beam with a 9.900. 

Their performance led the Devils to a 196.475-195.875 victory. This marks the Sun Devils best score since 2007 and the first time since 2014 that they earned a score over 196.

The Gym Devils continue their road trip on Jan. 20, traveling up the coast of California to Stanford for a 3 p.m. meet.

Reach the reporter at klbroder@asu.edu or follow @KellyB1459 on Twitter.

×