Video: How to keep hackers locked out and your information locked up

ASU professor and cybersecurity expert, Paulo Shakarian, informs students about online safety

ASU professor informs students on cybersecurity

Fulton Entrepreneurial Professor, Paulo Shakarian, types on his computer in his office on the Tempe campus on Jan. 15, 2017. 

Fulton Entrepreneurial Professor, Paulo Shakarian, discusses the risks of online security and how ASU students can protect themselves from hackers. ASU has taken measures to prevent staff members' and students' information from getting into the wrong hands. Shakarian cautions students to not overshare information online, to create complex passwords and to only use secure networks. 

Emily Giordano — Reporter: 

Whether you’re tweeting about your day or logging into your ASU account, your personal information could be at risk.

Paulo ShakarianFulton Entrepreneurial Professor: 

The first risk to individuals here at ASU is risk of your personal information being compromised. And this could include identity theft, it could include people gaining access to your credit cards or bank accounts.

Giordano: 

According to Pew Research Center, 64% of Americans have experienced a personal data breach. Paulo says sharing too much personal information on social media can also put you at risk.

Shakarian: 

Oversharing is a huge problem. It allows an attacker to build a profile of you. Then they can get that and easily impersonate you.

Giordano: 

You can also protect yourself by having long passwords, only giving your information to certified websites and exclusively using secure wi-fi networks.

Shakarian: 

Two-factor authentication is the simplest way to make your computing more secure. If you are using any platform whether it's ASU's system for checking your grades, or if it's your bank account or whatever. If there's an option for two-factor authentication I say you should do it.  

Giordano: 

Reporting for the State Press, I'm Emily Giordano.

Reach the reporter at eagiorda@asu.edu or follow @emilygiordano_  on Twitter.

Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×