Seven ASU wrestlers traveled to Pennsylvania to compete in the Edinboro Open

Three Sun Devils earned podium spots in their final tournament of the season

wrestling.jpg

ASU redshirt then-freshman Josh Kramer (gray) keeps OSU wrestler Jose Rodriguez in a hold during the first match of a meet in the first match of the meet versus the second ranked Ohio State University Buckeyes in Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona on Saturday, Nov. 19, 2016.

Seven Sun Devil wrestlers made a cross country trip to wrestle in the Edinboro Open on Saturday.

The tournament served as a tune-up for some of the wrestlers heading into the postseason while the rest of the team stayed in Tempe for some extra preparation for their biggest dual meet in the second half of the season against No. 11 Lehigh

The few Sun Devils that made the trip competed against 29 other teams from different divisions within the NCAA.

At 125 pounds, redshirt sophomore Josh Kramer finished with the best results, with a third-place finish. Kramer found himself in the semi-finals, but had to win back-to-back matches after a disappointing loss.

Two Sun Devils competed at the 141-pound weight class: redshirt freshman Cory Crooks and redshirt sophomore Nikko Villarreal. Villarreal placed fifth on the day with a 6-1 record.

At 157 pounds, redshirt senior Oliver Pierce found himself one match away from standing on the podium, but lost a tough match in the consolation quarterfinals.

Freshman Kordell Norfleet sustained an injury early in the tournament which resulted in medical forfeits.

Finally, at 197 pounds, freshman Cade Belshay and redshirt junior Austyn Harris held it down for ASU. Belshay found a way to squeak out a sixth-place finish and go 4-2 on the day.

As a unit, the Sun Devils continued to make strides for their goal of peaking during postseason play. 

Senior Ali Naser eluded to the coaching staff really ramping up training after the holiday break as part of him and his team’s success starting back in November. 

ASU will host Lehigh at Well Fargo Arena for a massive test on Friday, Feb. 9, at 7 p.m.

Reach the reporter at trittenh@asu.edu or follow @trittenhouse34 on Twitter.   

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.  

×