ASU President Crow brings 'New American University' to Washington

Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey introduced Michael Crow at National Governors Association talk, calling him a "force of nature"

crow.jpg

ASU President Michael Crow answers questions during a student forum at the post office on the downtown Phoenix campus on Monday, Sept. 18, 2017.

ASU President Michael Crow spoke to the National Governors Association on Feb. 25, highlighting what he sees as ASU's successes in innovation and affordability.

The National Governors Association is made up of governors from the states, territories and commonwealths of the United States. During its winter meeting in Washington, D.C. on Sunday, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey introduced Crow, praising his work at ASU.

"As the governor of Arizona, I take great pride in introducing a force of nature from Arizona," Ducey said. "He came to our state with a grand vision, to create a 'New American University' – and the proof is really in the pudding."

When Crow took the stage, he said he believes the world is facing a "fundamental economic and social change moment like nothing that anyone alive today ... has ever experienced."

He went on to stress the importance of inclusion at ASU.

"We restructured a charter built around what a public university is supposed to be," Crow said. "We'll actually measure the success of the University based on who we include and how our students succeed.

Crow also emphasized the importance of making ASU affordable for students.

Jimmy Arwood, a public service and public policy senior who formerly operated a student group called Students for Affordable Tuition, said he believes ASU has worked hard to achieve that goal but isn't quite there yet.

"I don't think the University has achieved true affordability," Arwood said. "I'm not placing blame on the University, I'm placing blame on the (Arizona) legislature."

Arwood said he has friends who had to drop out of school after being unable to afford tuition.

"We can do far better than what we have done," he said.

Randy Perez, a political science senior, said he had to take a semester off school "because of the lack of affordability."

"I had no choice because of exorbitant out-of-state tuition," Perez said. "Education is a human right. It's not a luxury item – it shouldn't be a commodity only available to the wealthy few."

The solution to the college affordability question is part of a longer debate, but Crow ended his speech by saying a "new model" is needed for the success of universities and the students they serve.

Editor's Note: Jimmy Arwood was formerly employed as a columnist at The State Press

Reach the reporters at flatifi@asu.edu or follow @fortesalatifi on Twitter.

Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×