ASU gymnastics falls to No. 2 Utah on the road

After scores of 196+ for four straight meets, the Sun Devils have been unable to pass 195.500 in the past two

38762_022517000948_orcuttf.jpg

ASU senior Nichelle Christopherson during her floor routine during a gymnastics meet against the no. 5 ranked Utah Utes in Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2017. ASU lost the meet 197.600 to 194.850.

The No. 17 Sun Devil gymnastics team traveled to Salt Lake City on Friday to take on the No. 2  Utah Utes. Despite putting up solid performances in each of their rotations, ASU fell to the Utes 197.075-195.400. 

The Sun Devils opened their first night meet of the season on bars where they were led once again by freshman Cairo Leonard-Baker who recorded an impressive 9.875. She was followed close behind by junior Anne Kuhm who had a clean dismount in her performance, earning the junior a 9.775.

For the Utes, they were led by sophomores MyKayla Skinner and Kim Tessen who put up stellar performances on bars with 9.925 and 9.900 respectively. 

Heading into the second rotation behind the Utes, the Sun Devils made their way to the vault where they were able to put up solid numbers. They were led by junior Morgan Wilson who earned a 9.825. Kuhm followed close behind with a 9.800. Despite a nice vault rotation, the Sun Devils still remained behind the Utes heading into the third rotation.

Moving to the floor, The Sun Devils continued with their ability to perform with high energy and fun performances by Kuhm and Leonard-Baker. The Sun Devils were given a much needed spark heading into the final rotation. Both Kuhm and Leonard-Baker earned 9.875’s for the team, Kuhm’s score tieing her career-high.

As the Sun Devils performed well on floor, the Utes overcame falls on beam and anchored in another impressive score of 9.90 from the Arizona local, Skinner. Her performance, as well as four straight impressive routines from the Utes kept the record-breaking crowd excited as the Utes held onto their 147.775-146.575 lead over the Devils.

In their final rotation, the Sun Devils made their way to beam, the set that seemed to cause them trouble in this meet. While they showed poise and confidence in their performances, only one gymnast was able to reach 9.800 – junior Heather Udowitch who scored a season high.

The Utes finished out their night on floor where they had three gymnasts notch in 9.900 or higher. They were led once again by Skinner who recorded a 9.950 following a beautiful performance.

In individual results, the Sun Devils had two gymnasts earn third place awards – Leonard-Baker on bars and Kuhm with an all-around score of 39.225.

The Sun Devils have earned less than a 195.500 for the second week in a row, which is the first on their list of 11 goals that sits in the John Spini Gymnastics Center. They return to action next Saturday Feb. 17 where they will compete at home against No. 16 Washington. The meet is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. at Wells Fargo Arena.

Reach the reporter at klbroder@asu.edu or follow @KellyBSays on Twitter. 

×