ASU Gymnastics fall to No. 13 Oregon State in tight road meet

The Sun Devils trailed throughout the meet and earned their lowest score in the past three meets.

Imani Randle

ASU now-senior Cairo Leonard-Baker performs on the balance beam at Wells Fargo Arena inTempe, Arizona, on Sunday, Jan. 28, 2018.

The road trip up to Corvallis proved to be a difficult one for the No. 12 ASU gymnastics team who fell short to No. 13 Oregon State on Saturday, 196.725-195.050. This was the first time in the past three meets that the Sun Devils did not cross the 196 scoring line.

The Sun Devils had a solid start to their day, beginning the meet on bars. Freshman Cairo Leonard-Baker lead the team with 9.875 and senior Nichelle Christopherson followed close behind with a 9.825. Sophomore Ashley Szafranski tied her season-high in the rotation with a 9.800. 

ASU moved into the second rotation trailing the Beavers by 0.125. 

Vault was full of individual record breakers, with junior Anne Kuhm recording a career high 9.825 and Leonard-Baker tying her current career high with a 9.850. Junior Morgan Wilson lead the way for the Sun Devils where she earned a career-high 9.875.

Despite their great performance on vault, the Sun Devils were unable to gain the as they moved to floor. 

Through some difficult routines the team ended up faring well in the rotation, showing fight with Leonard-Baker earning a 9.900.

However, this was the point when the Beavers began to pull away. Their performance on beam combined with their impressive performance on floor would be too much for the Sun Devils to overcome. 

The Devils, who have struggled on beam in the past, were unable to put up strong enough scores to erase the deficit. 

On beam, the Sun Devils were led by Kuhm who recorded another career-high of 9.825. For the Beavers, senior Dani Dessaints earned an incredible 9.90.

Following the meet, a video review moved sophomore Jessica Ginn’s score on floor from a 9.725 to a 9.825, which in turn moved the Sun Devil’s final score up a tenth of a point from 194.950 to 195.050.

The Sun Devils hope to come back strong this Friday when they travel to Salt Lake City to take on No. 3 Utah at 7 p.m.

Reach the reporter at klbroder@asu.edu or follow @KellyB1459 on Twitter. 

×