ASU thrower Maggie Ewen sets another record at Husker Invitational

The University of Nebraska recognized Ewen's performance as the best by a female athlete on the weekend

maggie.jpg

ASU's Maggie Ewen winds up in the second flight of the women's hammer throw during the first day of the 2016 Pac-12/Big Ten Invitational track meet at Sun Angel Stadium in Tempe, Arizona on Friday, March 25, 2016.

The Sun Devils were in Nebraska for the two-day Frank Sevigne Husker Invitational where redshirt senior thrower Maggie Ewen proved she was not done breaking records.

Ewen broke the ASU weight throw record in her fifth attempt of the meet with a throw of 22.13m. She then broke that record again with her sixth and final throw of 22.22m.

This throw won Ewen the award of Most Valuable Female Performance for the meet on day two. 

In every meet Ewen has participated in this year she has broken a record, starting with the NAU Friday Night Duals, then the Texas A&M Team Invitational and now the Husker Invitational. 

DAY ONE:

Senior sprinter Shaunie Morrison finished in first place of the women’s 60-meter hurdles preliminaries, securing her spot in the finals on day two with a time of 8.39. 

In the men’s pole vault, freshman Cole Riddle had a second place finish with a vault of 17-5.50 ft Behind him was redshirt senior Nathan Hiett in fifth place at 16-7.50 ft.

Ewen wasn't the only top performer in the women's weight throw, redshirt sophomore Kaylee Antill secured herself a third place finish and new personal record with a mark of 19.27m. 

Sophomore sprinter Sha’Maya Flanagan crossed the line in third place of the women’s 400-meter dash with a time of 55.28. Redshirt senior Khalil Parris placed seventh in the men’s 400-meter dash at 49.06. 

DAY TWO:

The Sun Devil men struggled to get above a fifth place finish overall on the second day of the Husker Invitational.

The women’s team, however, had better results with six top-five finishes. 

Morrison finished in first place in the 60-meter hurdles prelims on day one, and did the same on day two with another first place finish in the finals at 8.39 seconds. 

Ewen unsurprisingly acquired another first place finish for herself, this time in the women’s shot put at 18.22m. Behind her was redshirt freshman Samantha Noennig in fourth place at 16.55m. 

In the women’s mile redshirt freshman Bianca Tinoco finished in third place at 4:56.28, less than one second behind the second place finisher. 

In the jumps, junior Jessica Barreira finished in third in the women’s triple jump at 12.39m and directly after her in fourth place was senior Darreyl Woodson at 12.29m. 

Sophomore Elijah Hughes finished in fifth place in the men’s high jump at 6-8.75ft – a new personal record.

Senior Kristiana Warth finished in fifth for the women’s pole vault at 12-11.50ft. Senior Haleigh Fritts was right behind her in sixth at 12-5.50ft. 

The Sun Devils compete next in Iowa State Classic on Feb. 9-10 in Ames, Iowa. 

FOR FULL RESULTS:

http://results.deltatiming.com/nebraska/tf/2018-frank-sevigne-husker-invitational/180202F025

Reach the reporter at cncarte1@asu.edu or follow @CCydeni on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter. 

×