Tempe Police Department has released video from the March 18 incident that killed a Tempe resident when an autonomous vehicle struck her as she walked her bike across the road. 

Read More: Uber suspends self-driving car program after fatal accident in Tempe

"As an update to the fatal collision that occurred Sunday night on Mill Ave. we are releasing the video of the incident which is attached," a statement from the department read. "The video shows the exterior view of the Uber vehicle leading up to the collision, however it does not include the collision itself due to the graphic nature of the impact."

The clip also shows interior video from the vehicle. The department said its Vehicular Crimes Unit is actively investigating the case and that they anticipate submitting the case for review to the Maricopa County Attorney's Office.

Uber suspended its self-driving car program in Tempe as well as in Pittsburgh, San Francisco and Toronto following the accident. Forty-nine-year-old Elaine Herzberg was killed while crossing the street at Mill Avenue and Curry Road at around 10 p.m. when an autonomous Uber vehicle struck her, according to Tempe Police. The accident is widely reported as the first pedestrian death from an autonomous vehicle. 

An Uber spokesperson released a statement Wednesday afternoon.

“The video is disturbing and heartbreaking to watch, and our thoughts continue to be with Elaine’s loved ones," the statement read. "Our cars remain grounded, and we're assisting local, state and federal authorities in any way we can.” 

This story is developing and will be updated as more information is made available.

Reach the reporter at maatenci@asu.edu or follow @mitchellatencio on Twitter.

×