ASU track and field opened its outdoor season at the Baldy Castillo Invite

ASU track and field competed in its first outdoor meet of the season at the Baldy Castillo Invite

DSC_0203.jpg

ASU junior J.P. Nelson finishes third in the men's 3000 meter run at the Puma Indoor Invitational in Paradise Valley, Arizona, on Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018.

The ASU Track and Field team opened up its outdoor season at home this weekend at the Baldy Castillo Invitational. 

There were only two first place finishes for the Sun Devils this weekend, coming from sophomore Courtney Lewis in the steeplechase and senior Shaunie Morrison in the 100-meter hurdles.

“I was really pleased with how competitive our people were,” Head coach Greg Kraft said. “I was really pleased with the steeple, Courtney Lewis, that was a nice run.” 

DAY ONE

On Friday, there were only four events: The hammer throw, javelin throw, and the 1,500-meter and the 2,000-meter steeplechase events.

In the women’s 1,500-meter race, redshirt freshman Bianca Tinoco had a third place finish with a time of 4:31.86. Behind her in thirteenth place was freshman Angela Saitta, and directly behind her in fourteenth was freshman Emily Gallegos-Francksen

In the steeplechase, Lewis finished in first place for the Sun Devil women with a time of 6:59.25, then behind her was redshirt sophomore Anna Pruter in fourth place at 7:07.89.

On the men’s side of the steeplechase, redshirt junior J.P. Nelson finished in fifth place with a time of 6:05.88, even after falling during the race. Freshman Jackson Lewis finished in sixth just under four seconds after Nelson.

DAY TWO

On Saturday, ASU’s sprinters were the ones to watch. 

Morrison finished in first place of the women’s 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.49. Following Morrison was junior Alexandra Williams in eighth place with a time of 14.41. 

Graduate student Alethia Marrero made her debut as a Sun Devil and got herself a third place finish in the women’s 400-meter dash with a time of 54.85. She also ran in the 4x400m relay and the 4x100-meter relay. 

The women’s 4x400-meter relay finished in second place with a time of 3:40.86 and the 4x100-meter relay finished in fourth at 45.34. 

On the distance side of things, redshirt junior John Reniewicki placed second in the 3,000m race with a time of 8:31.27. After Reniewicki, was redshirt junior Ryan Normand in fourth place at 8:43.77.

In the 4x800-meter relay the women’s team finished in second place and the men’s team finished in third. 

In the women’s 3,000-meter race, redshirt sophomore Samantha Ortega crossed the finish line in fifth place with a time of 9:48.95. 

In the field events, the Sun Devils had some note-worthy results also. Redshirt freshman, Samantha Noennig got second place in the women’s discus throw at 48.26m/158-4ft.

Sophomore Elijah Hughes finished in second place of the men’s high jump at 2.08m/6-9.75ft, and fifth in the long jump at 7.19m/23-7.25 (+2.1). 

“It’s a great opportunity for our athletes to be in that environment, but still have it be familiar because thy practice here every day.” Kraft said. “My biggest goal always in the opener is that when you go back to training a little heavier, is the ability to walk away from the event healthy.”

For full results click here.

Reach the reporter at cncarte1@asu.edu or follow @CCydeni on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter. 

×