Cal State Fullerton sweeps Sun Devil baseball

ASU Baseball fell to the Titans 2-1

brady corrigan pitches

ASU freshman pitcher Brady Corrigan (30) throws a pitch in the first inning of their 16-8 loss to the Miami Redhawks at Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Phoenix, Arizona, on Sunday Feb. 18, 2018.

In another late-inning heart breaker, ASU fell to the Cal State Fullerton Titans, 2-1, Wednesday at Phoenix Municipal Stadium. It’s the third one-run loss this past week for the Sun Devils. 

Freshman starting pitcher Brady Corrigan held Cal State Fullerton at bay for six innings, but it would not be enough to get the Sun Devils their 14th victory on the season.

“Tonight was a tough loss because it was 2-1, I don’t necessarily think we gave it to them like last night,” ASU head coach Tracy Smith said. “You’re looking with a young team, are you failing forward? In other words, if you fail are you learning from your mistakes, are you getting a great performance from a freshman that has not pitched a lot, hey that is growth."

ASU trailed 1-0 entering the bottom of the third inning, but a solo home run by junior outfielder Gage Canning to right center field tied the game – it was Canning’s third homer of the season. 

"He goes out and throws six innings, two hits, that is growth," Smith said. "Every time that happens, it is going to help you in the long run.”

The game would remain tied 1-1 all the way to the eighth inning, but Cal State Fullerton would break the deadlock in the top half of the frame. 

Sophomore infielder Sahid Valenzuela hit a high grounder out toward the pitcher’s mound, sophomore catcher Lyle Lin picked up the ball and looked about ready to release a quick throw to first base, but he slipped on the turf and was not able to get the throw off. Everyone was safe on the infield base hit and the Titans took a 2-1 lead. 

“(It was) kind of a freak play on a swinging bunt, Lyle (Lin) just losing his feet, the grass was wet and he fell down,” Smith said. 

Cal State Fullerton's junior pitcher Blake Workman won his third contest of the season while ASU's sophomore pitcher Chaz Montoya took his fifth loss of the year. The Titans' junior pitcher Brett Conine earned save number five of the 2018 season. 

ASU's offense struggled at the plate, going 6-30 Wednesday night. 

“We didn’t do enough offensively, clearly,” Smith said. “But credit them. They did not walk anybody and they played really good defense behind their guys.”

With the series finale loss, ASU has now dropped seven of its previous nine contests. 

All Aboard Corrigan Cruises

While there is no new cruise line in the desert, Corrigan sailed a career-high six innings, surrendering only two hits. He also recorded two walks and four strikeouts in the start. 

"When you have young guys when they have been out of the pen and they start, they think ‘well I’ve got to take it easy so I can go as long as I can,'" Smith said. "(Pitching coach Mike Cather) talked to him after the second inning and said ... I thought he really looked solid after that."

Of Corrigan’s 82 pitches, 56 were counted as strikes. His ERA now sits at 2.60. 

A Titan run scored while Corrigan was on the hill, but it entered the score books unearned due to a defensive error from the second inning. 

What’s Next for ASU

The Sun Devils return to Pac-12 Conference action beginning Friday when the USC Trojans visit Phoenix for a three-game series. First pitch Friday from Phoenix Municipal Stadium is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. MST. 

Reach the reporter at michael.baron@asu.edu or follow @Michael_Baron96 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×