Busy weekend for ASU track and field creates top-times

The Sun Devils competed in three different meets over the weekend in California

DSC_6826.jpg

ASU senior Shaunie Morrison (center) participates in the women's 100 meter hurdles during the 39th Sun Angel Track Classic at Sun Angel Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, April 7, 2018.

The ASU Track and field team split up to tackle three meets this weekend in southern California. The Sun Devils competed in the Mt. SAC Relays, Bryan Clay Invitationals and the Beach Classic, and with high competition, the Sun Devils only had 15 out of 60 top-10 finishes between the men and women over the weekend. 

The most impressive of them was redshirt senior Khalil Parris’ 400-meter hurdle race. Parris had a second place finish with a time of 51.03, just shy of his personal record. This moved him up to second in the Pac-12.

Mt. SAC Relays, April 19-20 in Torrance, California.

The Sun Devils competed in 6 different events, and their best result was from redshirt senior Alethia Marrero with a seventh place finish in the 800-meter race with a time of 2:04.55. That was a new season record for Marrero, moving her up to fifth all time in ASU history. 

In the women’s hammer throw, redshirt sophomore Kaylee Antill scored herself a 10th place finish with a mark of 57.84m/189-9ft, well under her personal record of 60.45m/198-3.75ft. 

There were two more 10th place finishes for the Sun Devils in this meet, one in the 100-meter hurdles and another in the 4x100-meter relay. 

Senior Shaunie Morrison crossed the finish line with a time of 13.42 for her tenth place finish. 

Morrison and Marrero were also runners on the 4x100 that finished in 10th place with a time of 45.64. 

Bryan Clay Invitational, April 19-20 in Azusa, California.

Parris’ second place finish on Friday was not the only good result the Sun Devils had. In the men’s pole vault, ASU finished in fourth, fifth and sixth place, respectively. 

The men all finished with the same mark of 5.09m/16-9.25ft. What separated them was the amount of jumps taken to get to the mark. In fourth place was redshirt senior Nathan Hiett then freshman Michael Chadwick and then redshirt junior Matthew Eckles

In the men’s high jump, sophomore Elijah Hughes finished in seventh place with a jump of 2.06m/6-9ft. 

For the women, junior Alexandra Williams had a sixth place finish in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.95, a new personal record. 

Beach Invitational, April 20-21 in Long Beach, California.

Junior jumper Jessica Barreira came in sixth place of the women’s triple jump with a jump of 12.39m/40-7.75ft, almost a foot shorter than her personal record. 

In the men’s pole vault, freshman Cole Riddle had a sixth place finish with a mark of 5.20m/17-0.75ft. 

The men’s 4x400-meter relay team came in ninth place with a time of 3:22.70.

Senior Mason Ford had a 10th place jump in the men’s high jump at 2.05m/6-8.75ft. 

In the men’s 400-meter hurdle race, Quinten Bankston finished in 13th place with a time of 54.01. 

For full results:

Mt. SAC Relays

Bryan Clay Invitational

Beach Classic 

The Sun Devils compete next in the Desert Heat Classic in Tucson on April 28.

Reach the reporter at cncarte1@asu.edu or follow @CCydeni on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter. 

×