ASU volleyball comes out successful on day one of the Sun Devil Classic

Sun Devil volleyball started its season on a high note with two wins on Friday

vball

ASU middle blocker Megan Beedie (17) and setter Nicole Peterson (6) narrowly miss a block attempt during the first set of the Sun Devils' 3-set loss to Oregon on Thursday, Nov. 9, 2017 at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona.

ASU volleyball season is off to a good start after the team won its first two games in the second annual Sun Devil Classic. 

In the first game of the classic, ASU beat the University of Texas at Arlington 3-1 on Friday morning. They then swept the New Mexico State Aggies 3-0 later on Friday night.

Head coach Sanja Tomasevic credited the team's composure as a factor behind Friday's wins. 

“It was fun to see them play the way we played today, especially after the way we started today,” she said.  

A key element in the Sun Devil win against New Mexico State was their serving. Tomasevic said it was some of the best serving she has seen as a coach with the program. 

The Sun Devils had a total of 10 aces compared to the Aggies’ two. In the final set, sophomore middle blocker Megan Beedie had back-to-back aces that helped secure the ASU win.

“Our serving was probably the best thing tonight,” Tomasevic said. “The way we served against (New Mexico State), they couldn’t do what they wanted to do. That was fun to see.”

The Sun Devils had consistent energy throughout the whole game, which was something they were missing in their first game against UT Arlington, despite picking up the win.

“We felt that we were sloppy this morning,” junior outside hitter Ivana Jeremic said. “We know that’s not allowed here, so we talked about it, then we came with a lot of energy (in the second game)."

Jeremic had the most kills of the match against New Mexico State with 14, one of which won the game. The Sun Devils had a strong and consistent hitting percentage of .276 while the Aggies only averaged .113. 

Redshirt freshman outside hitter Danica Krstonosic said she thinks a large amount of the team's energy was fueled from the hometown crowd, with the 942 Crew loading the stands in gold shirts to cheer for ASU on Friday.

“We loved it,” Krstonosic said. “We felt like it was our home, which we were missing last year. It felt great for them to be there.”

The Sun Devil Classic continues tomorrow as ASU takes on the Pacific Tigers at 7 p.m. local time at Wells Fargo Arena. 

Reach the reporter at skbrisen@asu.edu or follow @sophiabriseno on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×