ASU soccer is 1-0 in Pac-12 play

The Sun Devils picked up a 2-1 win against Cal on Saturday

09072018GirlsSoccerVBaylor6.jpg
ASU freshman midfielder Alexia Delgado (8) fights for possession of the ball in a game against Baylor University at Mulcahy Soccer Stadium in Tucson, Arizona, on Friday, Sept. 7, 2018.

ASU freshman forward Nicole Douglas and freshman midfielder Alexia Delgado combined for two goals late in Saturday's ASU soccer game to pick up a 2-1 win against the California Golden Bears. The win was the first time in 12 years that the Sun Devils have knocked off Cal.

Since the Sun Devils last win over Cal in 2006, the team has lost eight matches and tied three, proving the level of difficulty that the Pac-12 conference brings.

With three straight wins on their back coming into the match, the Sun Devils looked confident.

However, that confidence would quickly be tested when Cal sophomore forward Emma Westin scored early for her team in the 26th minute.

But the Sun Devils wouldn't give in to the added pressure and held the Bears at one.

The Sun Devils improved their overall record to 6-2 and continued their winning streak, which is now at four games. Douglas tied the game at one in the 69th minute, and Delgado added the game-winner late in the 81st minute on an assist by Douglas, as the two freshmen continue to impress in the early part of the Sun Devil soccer season.

ASU will return to Sun Devil Stadium for two games against Colorado on Thursday, Sept. 27 at 2 p.m. MST and then take on Utah on Sunday, Sept. 30 at 1 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×