ASU soccer falls 1-0 against Baylor University

ASU soccer lost 1-0 in its first road match of the year

09072018GirlsSoccerVBaylor3.jpg

ASU freshman midfielder Marleen Schimmer (27) brings the ball up the field in a game against Baylor University at Mulcahy Soccer Stadium in Tucson, Arizona, on Friday, Sept. 7, 2018. You can read more about the game here. 

ASU soccer fought until the last minute to score, but the Sun Devils came up short in a 1-0 loss against Baylor University in Tucson on Friday. 

Coming into the match, both teams were fresh off of their own victorious shutouts. The Bears took a 6-0 win over Nebraska, and the Sun Devils had a 4-0 win over Southeast Missouri State.

Even though both teams were coming off the momentum of a strong offensive showing, only one could come out on top.

Throughout the start of the first half, both the Sun Devils' and Bears' goalkeepers were put to the test, which kept the game scoreless for the most part. 

From the second to the 40th minute, ASU sophomore goalkeeper Nikki Panas racked up six saves while Bears sophomore goalkeeper Jennifer Wandt had three saves between the 16th and 32nd minute. 

For the remainder of the half, both teams struggled to score, with the Bears having eight shot attempts compared to ASU's five.

After ASU suffered three critical fouls in the second half, Baylor senior midfielder Julie James was able to score for her team on a free kick. 

The Sun Devils were shutout for the remainder the game and the Bears failed to score despite having 10 corner kicks in the match.

ASU is now set to travel to South Dakota State University for its next match on Monday, Sept. 10 at 5 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×