ASU Swim and Dive promises an exciting season

Underclassmen especially shined during ASU swimming's annual Maroon and Gold Intrasquad Scrimmage on Friday

092818MaroonandGoldScrimmage5.jpg

ASU junior Cierra Runge swims the women's 1000-yard freestyle for the Maroon team in lane five during the Maroon and Gold Scrimmage at Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, Sept. 28, 2018. Runge finished first with a time of 10:03.42

With high energy and speedy times, ASU Swim and Dive kicked off their season with the teams annual Maroon and Gold Scrimmage at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center on Friday. 

Coaches split both the women's and men's team into respective maroon and gold teams for the scrimmage, and the competitive edge between the teams was sharp on both the men's and the women's sides. 

Once each race was over and times were finalized, the men's maroon team sealed the victory going 121-112, while the women's gold team won 146-115. 

Underclassmen proved their worth with standouts such as sophomores Evan Carlson and Grant House, along with freshman Ruby Martin. Each swimmer finished first in at least one of their events. 

Carlson shined as arguably the best competitor today. He placed first in the 50 freestyle, helping his 400 freestyle relay team to a win, as well as anchoring the winning 200 medley relay.

Head Coach Bob Bowman crediting Carlson's performance to his training over the summer, saying "he was our best swimmer by far in terms of consistency."

For powerhouse freestyler House, the biggest takeaway from Friday was that while the team has progressed tremendously in the offseason, there is still always room for improvements. 

"The biggest thing we can do is to keep doing what we're doing," House said. "Just keep doing what the coaches are telling us, holding each other accountable and watch it hopefully pay off in dividends down the road this season."

The upperclassmen also took part in the success on Friday. 

ASU junior Jack Etter swims the breaststroke portion of the men's 200-yard medley relay for Gold-C in lane one during the Maroon and Gold Scrimmage at Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, Sept. 28, 2018. Gold-C finished fifth with a time of 1:37.12.

Junior Cierra Runge, who as a transfer will not be swimming for the team again until January 2019, had an outstanding meet placing first in the 500 freestyle, anchoring the winning team in the 400 freestyle relay and taking first in the 1,000 freestyle.

Junior Silja Kansakoski held her own by winning the 1,000 breaststroke, while fefllow junior Zach Poti, a competitor in both the fly and backstroke, finished with a win in the 100 backstroke. Both swimmers earned a NCAA B-Cut with their performances. 

Up next for ASU Swim and Dive, the women's team will travel to Corvallis, Oregon next weekend to compete against Oregon State on Oct. 5, while the men's side has almost another month to train until their next meet against Florida State on Oct 26. 

Sophomore Nora Deleske said she is extremely proud of how both sides of the program performed on Friday. 

"We're going to be good," Deleske said. "Seeing everyone and how they competed compared to last year, it's a great sign. ASU swimming is going to be fast this year, and other teams better watch out."

Reach the reporter at kcdoyle2@asu.edu or follow @kellydoyle06 on Twitter. 

×