ASU women's hockey earns a series split after picking up a win on Saturday

The Sun Devils defeated GCU 3-2 on Saturday

IMG_4827.jpg

ASU freshman forward Danielle Dupont (19) drives toward the goal in the Sun Devils' 3-2 loss to GCU in Phoenix, Arizona, on Friday, Sept. 28, 2018.

Following a 3-2 overtime loss on Friday night, the ASU women’s hockey team came out on Saturday and flipped the script to pick up a series split with GCU.

The Sun Devils defeated the Lopes 3-2 on Saturday, with one goal coming in the opening frame, and two goals coming in the second period to hold off GCU.

"We had more shots on net and we were better in the defensive zone," ASU head coach Lindsey Ellis said of Saturday's performance. "Overall, it was a great game and there were lots of improvements from last night ... We can improve every game, and they definitely showed that." 

In the first period, GCU jumped out to a 1-0 lead thanks to a familiar source of offense — freshman defenseman Megan Brodfuehrer. Brodfuehrer secured her third goal in two games played this season, and the active defenseman picked up right where she left off the night before. 

ASU would tie the game on a goal from senior defenseman KC McGinley. After a strong showing on Friday that resulted in no goals, the veteran blue-liner was able to stick with her play and net a goal on Saturday to bring the game even at one.

In the second period, ASU would answer with a couple goals from freshman forwards Maya Elliott and Danielle Dupont. The goals were the first of Dupont and Elliott’s collegiate careers, and Dupont’s strike proved to be the game-winner for ASU.

"Goals are always exciting, but that excitement is huge for a first collegiate goal," Ellis said of Elliot and Dupont. "That's always fun."

GCU tied the game at two before Dupont's game-winner, and the Lopes second goal was off the stick of sophomore forward Tuesday Chavez. The final would hold at 3-2 in the third, and the Sun Devils picked up their first win of the season.

Coming off of a tough overtime loss on Friday, the young ASU squad responded on Saturday with a big win to split a series with their crosstown foes.

Up next, ASU will have somewhat of a hiatus before getting back to action on October 19, when the team plays the University of Denver as a part of a Western Women's Collegiate Hockey League Showcase Tournament in Boulder, CO. Puck drop with the Pioneers will be at 6:30 MST.

"They (ASU) have all been playing their hearts out this whole weekend," Ellis said. "I am just excited to see how this season progresses and how they continue to grow."

Reach the reporter at atbell1@asu.edu or follow @AndrewBell7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×