Sun Devil triathlon qualifies for Nationals at Oktoberfest run

Six runners finish in top seven, headlined by Hannah Henry's top finish

Dives In For Swimming Portion

Then-ASU freshman Hannah Henry dives into Tempe Town Lake for the swimming portion in the Women’s Collegiate Triathlon National Championship in Tempe, Arizona, on Sunday, Nov. 5, 2017.

ASU sophomore Hannah Henry, junior Charlotte Ahrens and redshirt senior Katie Gorczyca led the ASU triathlon team in a dominant performance at the Oktoberfest Triathlon over the weekend. All three of the aforementioned runners finished on the podium, with three more runners finishing in the top seven.

Henry finished with the fastest time, completing the run in 01:00:42. Henry posted times of 07:38 in swim, 32:19 in bike and 19:14 in the run. Henry spent a minute and twenty-nine seconds during transitions. 

Ahrens finished nearly a minute behind her with a time of 01:01:15, which was good enough for second place. Ahrens ended the event with times of 07:35 in swim, 32:18 in bike and 19:46 in the run. Ahrens spent a minute and thirty-four seconds during transitions. 

Gorczyca finished in third place with a time of 01:02:26. Gorczyca completed the run with times of 07:57 in swim, 33:20 in bike and 19:31 in the run. Gorczyca spent a minute and thirty-six seconds during transitions. 

Sophomore Kyla Roy, junior Sarah Quintero and freshman Kira Stanley finished fifth, sixth and seventh respectively. Roy finished in 01:02:55, Quintero finished in 01:03:36, and Stanley finished in 01:03:49. 

This win qualified the Sun Devils for the National Championships held in November. The team previously canceled a trip to the Central Regional Qualifier due to Hurricane Florence. If the team did not qualify for the nationals with Sunday's race, ASU would have had one more opportunity to qualify in the East Regional Qualifier on Oct. 20th, which will be their next competition.

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×