The ASU soccer team recorded a 4-0 shutout victory on Sunday afternoon

Four goals from four different Sun Devils led to a victory

0902018GirlsSoccerVSoutheastMissouriState13.jpg

ASU senior forward Casey Martinez (10) races her opponent to the ball in a game against Southeast Missouri State at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Sunday, Sept. 2, 2018.

With four goals from four different Sun Devils, the ASU soccer team earned a 4-0 win against Southeast Missouri State University on Sunday. 

Senior midfielder Casey Martinez, freshman midfielder Eva Van Deursen, freshman defender Cori Sullivan and freshman forward Nicole Douglas each notched a goal during the shutout win. Douglas leads the Sun Devils with three goals so far this season. 

While the start of the match remained scoreless, the Redhawks' defense was alive and aggressive, which caused them to earn four fouls by the ninth minute of the match.

ASU was on to something early on as they racked up four shot attempts in the first nine minutes. 

However, it wouldn't be until the 22nd minute when a substitution by ASU head coach Graham Winkworth would give the Sun Devils their first goal. 

After Martinez was substituted in for freshman forward Marleen Schimmer, she wasted no time securing an early 1-0 lead in the 23rd minute.

"Casey (Martinez) I thought had not been at her best in recent weeks and she started on the bench today," Winkworth said. "I want to give her a lot of credit because she came off the bench and made an impact immediately." 

The Sun Devils were given another opportunity to score in the 30th and 31st minute in a span that saw four corner kicks, but ASU came out empty despite the scoring chances. 

One of Martinez's corner kicks was shot to senior forward Natalie Stephens, who had a header, but it was quickly blocked by the Redhawks goalkeeper.  

The second half proved to be a good one for ASU both defensively and offensively, with two more goals coming in just five minutes apart and another goal in the 66th minute.

In her first start of the season, sophomore goalkeeper Nikki Panas played the entire game and earned two saves. 

As she discussed her performance, Panas said she felt good to give back to the team, and she thought her teammates performed well enough to earn a shutout. 

ASU will hit the road the next three matches, with the first game coming against Baylor University in Tucson on Friday, Sept. 7 at 4 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×