Impact: Dominant rushing attack gives ASU football third home victory under Edwards

ASU football is back in the win column after losing back-to-back weeks

_MGL6756.jpg

ASU sophomore running back Eno Benjamin (3) pushes into the end zone in a game against Oregon State University in the Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018.

ASU football looked toward the run game on Saturday as sophomore running back Eno Benjamin set an ASU single-game rushing record with 312 yards. 

The Sun Devils (3-2, 1-1) had the best opportunity to get back into the win column against Oregon State (1-4, 0-2), a team that has struggled to secure a road victory since 2014.  

Both Benjamin and freshman running back Jermar Jefferson for Oregon State dominated the opposing defenses. The two combined for 566 rushing yards and five touchdowns.

Benjamin activated beast mode in ASU's 52-24 win and single handedly outscored the Beavers on Saturday.

Jefferson put his name on the radar with his performance against a Sun Devil defense that was once the best run stuffing group in the country.

Junior wide receiver N'Keal Harry was able to find the end zone after struggling to find open space versus No. 10 Washington. Harry finished the night with five catches for 84 yards and a touchdown. Harry also punched the ball in the end zone from six yards out – in the team's Sparky formation. 

With a bone-crushing victory over Oregon State, the Sun Devils will head to Boulder, Colorado to take on the only undefeated team left in the Pac-12, No. 21 Colorado (4-0, 1-0) on Saturday Oct. 6 on the Pac-12 Network at 1 p.m. 

Not so Happy Valley for No. 11 Penn State 

In one of college footballs best rivalries, the No. 3 Ohio State Buckeyes went to Happy Valley Stadium to take on the No. 11 Penn State Nittany Lions.

The two teams have not only been the best in the Big-10 conference, but they've been some of the more dominant programs in all of college football.

The Buckeyes (5-0, 2-0) led by sophomore quarterback Dwayne Haskins played spoiler to the Nittany Lions (4-1, 1-1) this year. The two teams have played heartbreaker in years past, and Ohio State came out on top.

Ohio State fell into a quick 13-point deficit after the Nittany Lions scored on a 93-yard touchdown reception by redshirt freshman wide receiver KJ Hamler. The Buckeyes looked to be falling apart until the offense, which was led by Haskins and sophomore running back J.K. Dobbins led the charge. 

Dobbins found the end zone twice to give the Buckeyes a 14-13 lead for Ohio's first lead of the game with 10 minutes left in the third. Dobbins's first touchdown was a 26-yard receiving touchdown off of a screen play. His next touchdown was from four yards out.

Penn State capitalized right away and took a 12-point lead with eight minutes left. Evidently, Haskins felt little pressure as he was able to throw two crucial touchdowns to give the Buckeyes an eventual 27-26 victory. 

UCLA Bruins could go 0-12 in Chip Kelly's first year under the helm 

The UCLA Bruins are (0-4, 0-1) in the team's first year with head coach Chip Kelly. Kelly was hired to lead the program back to relevancy – so far the Bruins are far from it.

UCLA has only been able to put up 21 points once this season. The Bruins were predicted to finish fourth in the South in the preseason poll. However, they look like a team that could finish winless. 

Kelly was out of a coaching job for a year after a failed attempt in the NFL under the Philadelphia Eagles (2013-15) and San Francisco 49ers (2016). 

Now, Kelly is feuding with freshman quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson's father, who believes that Kelly needs to take responsibility for the team's struggles.

UCLA will not only have to deal with angry parents who want the best for their sons, but the program will need to win a game in order to not be the laughing stock of the Pac-12.

Reach the reporter at sbemanue@asu.edu or follow @SebastianEman5 on Twitter. 

×