No. 15 USC defeats No. 25 ASU volleyball 3-2

The Sun Devils lost in a close match against the Trojans

Imani Randle

ASU Sophomore outside hitter Claire Kovensky (7) spikes against the  Washington Huskies at the Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona on Sunday, October 7, 2018.

In a close five-set match, No.15 USC defeated No. 25 ASU 3-2. It was ASU's first match to extend past three sets since the Sun Devils took down Cal 3-2 on Sept. 23. 

Sun Devils started the match with an early lead in set one. They stayed neck-to-neck with the Trojans, eventually winning the set 25-23.

During the match, junior setter Nicole Peterson played a key role with a total of 29 assists and 23 digs for the Sun Devils. Sophomore outside hitter Claire Kovensky led ASU in kills with 17.

The Trojans took the next two consecutive sets, 25-21, and 25-18 respectively. USC was one set away from securing the match, but the Sun Devils would not go down without a fight. 

Junior outside hitter Ivana Jeremic secured another double-double with 15 kills and 19 digs, and ASU took the fourth set 25-23, leading to a final 15-point fifth set.

The Trojans were able to grab control and ended the match with 15-9 victory. Up next, ASU will head back to Tempe to take on Utah on Oct. 19 at 7:00 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at skbrisen@asu.edu or follow @sophiabriseno on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×