No. 20 UCLA defeats No. 25 ASU volleyball 3-0

UCLA took down the Sun Devils in three straight sets

ASU Volleyball vs Washington State-13 copy.jpg

ASU junior libero Courtney Leffel (1) digs the ball during the second set in the Sun Devils 3-0 loss against the Washington State Cougars at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, Oct. 5, 2018.

No. 25 ASU volleyball was defeated by No. 20 UCLA 3-0 on Wednesday night at Pauley Pavilion. 

The Sun Devils are currently ranked No. 25 after sweeping No. 15 Washington last weekend at home. The team's season record is 13-6 and 4-3 in Pac-12 play.

While being ranked for the first time all season, the Bruins came out and kept the ASU offense down with a hitting percentage of a season-low at .054, while UCLA was at .293.

UCLA got an early lead in the match, and they won set one 25-13. 

Senior middle blocker Carmen Unzue led the team with hitting percentage of .286. She had five kills for the night and three blocks. 

Sophomore middle blocker Megan Beedie and senior outside hitter Alyse Ford also had five kills. In set two, the Sun Devils fought hard and caught up from an early UCLA lead of 8-0, and ASU managed to stay only a few points behind UCLA until they pulled ahead and took the set 25-20. 

Junior libero Courtney Leffel notched 13 digs, but it wasn't enough to take down the Bruins in the end, and UCLA took the third match 25-14. 

ASU has either picked up a sweep, or they have been swept in six of its seven conference matches this season. Up next, the Sun Devils take on No. 15 USC on Friday, Oct. 12 in Los Angeles. 

Reach the reporter at skbrisen@asu.edu or follow @sophiabriseno on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×