ASU soccer kicks it to the Oregon State Beavers 4-0

Four Sun Devil goals and three assists get ASU past OSU

GirlsSoccerVWashington17.jpg
Senior defender Jemma Purfield (11) takes corner kick against the University of Washington at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Sunday, Oct. 21, 2018.

Sun Devil senior midfielder Casey Martinez, junior forward Christina Edwards, freshmen forwards Nicole Douglas and Marleen Schimmer all found the back of the net in the ASU soccer team's (5-3-1) 4-0 win over Oregon State (1-9) on Sunday. 

The Sun Devils' win marks their fourth straight one, and they currently rank 7th with 13 points in the Pac-12. 

Unlike the Sun Devils' late double overtime win on Thursday, on Sunday they flipped the script early in the fifth minute when Martinez met the net off a deflected save from the Beavers' freshman goalkeeper Bridgette Skiba.

From that point on, the rest was gravy for ASU. After strategically planned passes from three Sun Devils in the 32nd minute eventually met with Douglas who launched a rocket shot to the net for a 2-0 lead.

The eager Beavers, hungry to bite into the deficit were held to only two shots on goal in the first half with both being critically saved by ASU sophomore goalkeeper Nikki Panas.  

With plenty of time remaining in the first half, the Sun Devils responded again with a taste of their own medicine. 

In the 37th minute Martinez had a sly assist to Edwards, who nicked it in the net with an awkward backwards shot that missed the feet of OSU defenders.

Slightly mirroring the first half, the Beavers got off to an offensive head start with another pair of shots on goal but were again saved by Panas to maintain the lead.

In the span of four minutes the Sun Devils pounced again with four shots but came out empty handed. 

Then in the 71st minute the double combo of assist from senior forward Jemma Purfield and freshman midfielder Eva Van Deursen met with Schimmer for the net shot and the finishing 4-0 win for the Sun Devils.

In only two matches Schimmer has managed to stand out as a crucial player for the team knocking in three goals and five in total for the season.      

With a win this afternoon the Sun Devils rank at No. 37 in the NCAA women's soccer RPI poll, a rank the team hasn't seen since 2014 season.        

ASU will return home for their final two biggest matches of the season against the rival No. 20 UA Wildcats on Friday, Nov. 2 at 5 p.m. MST followed by the No. 1 Stanford Cardinal on Sunday, Nov. 4 at 3 p.m. MST.    

Editor's note: a previous version of this story identified Oregon State University as Oregon instead of Oregon State. The article has been updated to reflect this change.

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×