ASU cross country season ended at the NCAA West Regional Championships

Daan Haven helped the women's team finish 16th, Garrett O'Toole led the men's team to 14th

DSC_0193.jpg

ASU runners Daan Haven, Courtney Lewis and Megan Reniewicki run the women's 3000 meter at the Puma Indoor Invitational in Paradise Valley, Arizona, on Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018.

With an opportunity to qualify for the NCAA Championships on the line, redshirt sophomore Daan Haven led the women's team to a 16th place finish, while senior Garrett O'Toole pushed the men's team to 14th place at the NCAA West Regional run.  

Haven finished for the women's team in 61st place, completing the run in 21:10. Haven paced herself well in the initial portions of the race, finishing the first mile in 57th and placing 56th after the two-and-a-half mile mark. However, she faltered in the latter portion of the run, dropping to 61st.

Redshirt junior Samantha Ortega finished in 66th place with a time of 21:13, being the second Sun Devil to score. Junior Alexis Nichols finished as the third scorer for the Sun Devils, placing 86th with a time of 21:27.

Junior Courtney Lewis and sophomore Megan Reniewicki rounded out the scorers for the women's team, finishing in 108th and 113th place respectively. 

O'Toole finished for the men's team in 39th place, completing the race in 30:22. O'Toole got off to a blazing start, getting up to 2nd place at the end of one mile, but he fell back to 7th place at the end of three miles. However, he struggled from that point on, slipping back into 43rd place at the end of five miles. But he made up ground in the final miles, finishing the race in 39th.

Redshirt senior John Reniewicki finished in 73rd place with a time of 31:01 as the Sun Devils' second scorer. Freshman Fearghal Curtin scored third for the Sun Devils, finishing in 90th place with a time of 31:28. 

Sophomores Jackson Lewis and Erik Gonzalez finished in tandem, placing 101st and 102nd as the Sun Devils' final scorers. 

This competition ended the Sun Devils season, and neither team was able to secure a spot in the NCAA Championships as an at-large team. No runner on either team made the championship run as an individual. 

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×