ASU gymnastics team finishes second behind No. 4 Utah

The No. 19 Sun Devils' 195.825 overall score is second-best this season

gymnastics.jpg

ASU senior Heather Udowitch competes on the beam during a meet against Washington at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018.

The No. 19 ASU gymnastics team (3-3) dropped to 195.825 overall points on Saturday, falling behind No. 4 Utah (2-0).

"We just got to keep the progress that we are making," ASU head coach Jay Santos said. "Minus beam, vault was better today, bars was a little strong again (and) floor was better than Monday. We're there, we (just) got to put it together, all four events."

On floor, Sun Devil senior Kaitlyn Szafranski tied her season high of 9.850 as did senior Anne Kuhm who tied her career high on bars with a 9.875.

The Utes' overall first place finish with a score of 197.375 not only marks the team's highest score of the season but have outperformed every opponent faced this early in the season.

Before the meet on Saturday, the Sun Devils helped raise awareness for cystic fibrosis, a progressive genetic disease. 

While the Sun Devils opened up the evening on vault, the Utes took charge on bars.

Although Sun Devil senior Kuhm stuck the lowest 9.750 score, three of her teammates were there to back her up, scoring 9.800s. Sophomore all-around Cairo Leonard-Baker notched the highest score of 9.875 for the team. 

Meanwhile, the Utes came out blazing on bars with 9.950s from juniors Missy Reinstadtler and all-around MyKayla Skinner. Senior all-around MaKenna Merrell-Giles rounded out the top score with a 9.900.

By then end of the first rotation, the Utes were leading ASU 49.500-49.050.

As the night progressed, the Sun Devils would see a slight struggle.

On beam, junior Ashley Szafranski started off strong with solid turns, but as her routine went on, a fall cost her a 9.100 score. But Leonard-Baker was there for her teammates bringing the Sun Devil spirit leading her team with a 9.750.

"We are so supportive of each other," Leonard-Baker said. "Every day going into practice we know we are a family and every day competing with these girls it's my favorite thing ever."

The Utes held onto a comfortable lead of 148.100-146.600 they would not let go of, after three rotations.

In the all-around category, the Utes' Skinner lead the night with a 39.600 score and Merrell-Giles trailed behind with 39.575. 

As for ASU, Leonard-Baker scored her highest all-around score this season to 39.450.

"Honestly, I'm just trying to rely on God right now," said junior Jessica Ginn, who competed in two rotations for the Sun Devils. "That's where I get my courage from is him and just trying to serve my team and be there for my teammates." 

ASU will make its way to Berkeley for a dual meet with the No. 12 California Golden Bears and No. 16 BYU on Friday, Feb. 2 at 6:00 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×