ASU gymnastics team reaches highest score of the season at No. 2 UCLA meet

The Sun Devils finished second place in meet with Bruins, despite posting high scores

Justine Callis Beam

ASU gymnast Justine Callis competes on the beam during a meet against Washington at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018.

Despite a second place 197.775-196.125 finish to No. 2 UCLA on Monday, ASU women's gymnastics landed its highest overall score of the season.

The highest score of the afternoon and individual beam title came from Sun Devil senior Justine Callis with a career high of 9.925. 

The Sun Devils (3-2) quickly got to work on their first rotation of the afternoon, which was on bars. 

Junior Morgan Hart, who only competed in one rotation, managed to score a career high of 9.875.

Moments later, Hart's teammate, sophomore all-around Cairo Leonard-Baker had no problem sticking the landing for a team high of 9.975.

On the other side, the Bruins were posting high marks on vault.

While sophomores Pauline Tratz and Kendal Poston put out 9.800s to start the rotation, sophomore all-around Nia Dennis closed it with a score of 9.950.

At the end of the first rotation, ASU held a tight lead of 49.250-49.175 over the Bruins. 

However, the Bruins wasted no time earning their perfect 10 score on bars. 

With pirouettes straight as a stick and washing machine-like leaps, junior Madison Kocian landed the perfect score for her team. 

Meanwhile, the Sun Devils were looking to maintain their lead on vault.

Junior Jessica Ginn raced down the floor mat, landing a 9.800 score.

The rest of the team struggled to score higher, and was unable to surpass Ginn's score.

UCLA took the lead, 98.875-98.100 after two rotations.

In order for the Sun Devils to regain their lead, they needed consistent and high-level individual scoring.

Unfortunately, it cost them on floor routine when senior Katelyn Lentz scored a 2.000.

On beam, the Bruins managed to score three 9.850's and their highest of 9.875 from Kocian.

After three rotations, UCLA led ASU 148.125-146.800. 

As the day began to wrap up, Bruins senior Katelyn Ohashi, who is known for her energetic and show-stopping floor routine, and three of her teammates completely dominated the rotation with 9.950 scores. 

ASU women's gymnastics will make its way back to Tempe for a meet with No. 3 Utah (3-0) on Saturday, Jan. 26 at 6:30 p.m. MST. 

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×