ASU men's basketball ends two-game slump with double-digit win against Colorado

The Sun Devils win 83-61 over the Colorado Buffaloes

DSC_6222-2.jpg

ASU freshman guard Luguentz Dort (0) puts Colorado sophomore guard McKinley Wright IV (25) on a poster as ASU defeats Colorado 83-61 on Saturday, January 5, 2019 in Tempe, Arizona.

Searching for their first win after a two-game slump, the ASU men's basketball team defeated the Colorado Buffaloes 83-61 on Saturday. 

In just over the span of a week, the Sun Devils (10-4, 1-1 Pac 12) were riding into their afternoon game on thin ice. The team had surrendered back-to-back losses to both a non-conference and conference teams, thus falling off the AP Top 25 Poll. 

The team's double-digit win on Saturday could be attributed to head coach Bobby Hurley's decision to switch up the starting five prior to tip-off.

"We've settled into the eight-man rotation and really any of those guys could start at any given day," Hurley said. "I just thought that we needed to do something to shake things up a little bit."  

Redshirt senior forward Zylan Cheatham, freshman guard Luguentz Dort and redshirt sophomore forward Romello White put up a combined seven dunks. 

Cheatham and White were among the two on the starting lineup.

Although the Buffaloes (9-5, 0-2 Pac 12) trailed behind through most of the game, they did see some hits.

The team was shooting 80 percent in free throws in the first half.

In total field goal attempts, the Buffaloes were shooting only 8-27 and 2-13 in three-point attempts. 

Tipping into the second half, the Sun Devils were hard at work stretching the lead as far as 26 points. 

Meanwhile, senior forward De'Quon Lake, who was starting his first ASU game, put up high offensive numbers alongside White in place of starters sophomore guard Remy Martin and Dort. 

"He (Hurley) actually told us in practice and I was like wow ... we finally (are) doing it," White said on getting in on the starting lineup. "I always wanted it to happen, we always talked about it happening and he finally did it."

White led with a team-high of 19 points scored and Lake with a total of 12 points. 

The Sun Devils will now look to transfer their newfound momentum when they head to Berkeley to take on the California Golden Bears on Wednesday, Jan. 9 at 7 p.m. MST. 

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×