Multiple ASU track and field athletes clinch titles at MPSF Championship

Three Sun Devils win titles, while multiple athletes secure top-three finishes

Then ASU redshirt sophomore Matthew Eckles pole vaults during the Sun Angel Classic on Friday, April 7, 2017.

Athletes on the ASU track and field team captured three titles in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championship in Seattle over the weekend, with several other Sun Devil athletes posting top-three finishes.

ASU's showing was highlighted by redshirt senior William Paulson, who captured the MPSF title for the men's 1-mile run with a time of 3:58.07. He established a new school record with his run, beating out Nick Happe's time of 3:58.73. 

Paulson also finished tenth in the men's 800-meter run with a time of 1:52.58.

Redshirt sophomore Samantha Noennig won her first MPSF title in the women's shot put, throwing for 17.40m. 

Senior Jessica Barreira clinched her first MPSF title in the women's triple jump with a 12.90m jump. She also finished third in the women's long jump with a leap of 6.16m.

Aside from those who walked away with titles from the weekend meet, multiple Sun Devil athletes also placed in the top three for their events.

Sophomore Fearghal Curtin placed third in the men's 5K with a time of 13:58.60. He also finished 19th in the men's 1-mile with a time of 4:14.47.

Redshirt senior Matthew Eckles placed third in the men's pole vault with a jump of 5.22m. Sophomore Michael Chadwick placed fifth in the same event with a jump of 5.02m. 

Redshirt sophomore Beatrice Llano placed third in the women's weight throw with a toss of 20.04m. Redshirt junior Kaylee Antill finished sixth in the same event with a throw of 18.78m.

Other Sun Devils saw success in their respective events.

Freshman Sydnee Larkin finished fifth in the women's triple jump with a personal best 12.60m leap.

Junior Josephine Anokye finished sixth in the women's 200-meter dash with a time of 24.43. 

Senior Derrick Monroe placed sixth in the men's long jump with a leap of 7.23m.

Redshirt sophomore Daan Haven finished seventh in the women's 5K with a time of 17:08.28. 

Redshirt sophomore Bianca Tinoco finished eighth in the women's 800-meter, running for a time of 2:07.63.

Redshirt senior John Reniewicki finished 12th in the men's 1-mile with a time of 4:08.83. He also finished 15th in the men's 5K with a run of 14:11.61. 

The Sun Devils will head to Birmingham, Ala. next to compete in the NCAA Division 1 Indoor Track and Field Championships on Mar. 8 through 9. 

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×