Second annual Uncertainty Fashion Show to showcase colorful student collections

Fashion student Natalie Harris headlines upcoming Uncertainty Fashion Show with two collections

HerbergerFashionShow.jpg

ASU senior fashion student Natalie Harris poses with three of her looks from her two upcoming collections at Tempe Center in Tempe, Arizona, on Thursday, March 21, 2019.

Neon colors, structured silhouettes and handmade earrings will head down the runway at the Herberger Fashion Program's second annual Uncertainty Fashion Show.

The fashion show will feature three-piece collections from 12 students' capstone projects and a headlining 10-piece collection by Natalie Harris, a senior studying fashion. The show will take place on March 30 at Scottsdale Fashion Square. Tickets are free, and students can register for the event here.

Harris, whose 10-piece collection is named after the show itself, builds on the first Uncertainty Fashion Show led by Carol Wong, who graduated in 2018 with a degree in fashion. In Wong's show, the "uncertainty" theme focused on the transitional period that students face while attending college.

Read More: 'Uncertainty' Fashion Show brings professional-grade style to ASU

“I liked the name (Uncertainty) and I wanted to keep it, because it’s that tradition moving forward for a yearly event,” Harris said. “Carol’s original idea was 'Uncertainty' because it is an overarching theme for a lot of college students ... It’s just a big time for transitional periods in one’s life.”

Harris said she wanted to continue the tradition of the "Uncertainty" collection but add her own take on it.

She said her collection focuses on uncertainty in the fashion industry and represents the eclectic range of styles that appear in today's fashion. Harris also departed from the original show in the color scheme she decided to use, featuring bright neon colors compared to Wong's more monochromatic theme. 

Harris will feature two collections at the show: the 10-piece collection and a three-piece collection called “Farmer’s Market Chic." The audience she targeted for the 10-piece collection is hip, educated and loves to stand out. For her other project, she said she focused on more sustainable and eco-friendly trendsetters.

”It’s so much fun to think about who this person could be, what does she do and what’s her job?” Harris said.

On top of two collections, Harris is responsible for coordinating some parts of the show, including setting the location, casting models and ensuring that designers are on-track and ready for the show.

Kevin Whitcanack, a senior studying fashion who will be presenting his collection that is centered around his Western-styled upbringing, commended Harris for the hard work she put into the show.

“I’ve always been inspired with just how talented she is and how she’s dealing with running (the fashion show)," Whitcanack said. "And on top of that, doing her two collections that she’s doing and still finding time to help us out."

Harris said she developed a passion for fashion from observing her mother participate in quilting and sewing circles throughout her childhood.

“It’s always been fabric here, fabric there,” Harris said.

Harris started her college career at a small design school in Oregon, and decided to join ASU's fashion program when it launched in the 2017-18 school year. 

Read More: Studying in style: Fashion gets its own major at ASU

As part of her program, Harris got involved with the first Uncertainty Fashion Show last year, providing one look on the runway. After being involved with that show, those who ran the show told her she should take it over next year.

During this year's show, Harris said she wanted to steer away from the competitive stress that permeates fashion industry environments by encouraging a more collaborative and inclusive environment.

Cora Tallman, a senior studying fashion who is presenting her collection "Over the Rainbow," said that this type of environment allowed the designers to work more closely.

“We put input in each other’s pieces, we try to critique it, but also hype each other up,” Tallman said. “When you start to doubt yourself, sometimes you need someone to say, ‘Don’t change anything, that’s perfect.’”

Harris, Whitcanack and Tallman said they are excited to see their final designs hit the runway after months of hard work.

“It’s been so cool to watch things go from paper to an actual thing and see (Harris) follow her story all the way through,” Tallman said.

Reach the reporter at eborst@asu.edu and follow @ellieeborstt on Twitter. 

Ellie BorstExecutive Editor 2021-22

Ellie Borst is the executive editor of The State Press, overseeing the publication and its four departments: online, magazine, multimedia and engagement. She plans to graduate in May 2022 with her master's in legal studies and got her bachelor's in journalism in 2021. Previous roles she has held since joining SP in 2018 include digital managing editor, magazine managing editor, community and culture desk editor, and arts and culture reporter.

×