No planner, no problem: Skoller app helps students organize their semester

The app, which is centered around community, creates a calendar with assignment reminders and a grade calculator

Phone Calandar alerts.jpg

"The app has alerts to remind students when projects are due to help them stay organized." Illustration published on Tuesday, March 20, 2019.

Throw out your bullet journal — a new app geared toward college students can keep you organized without a pack of colored pens.

Skoller is a free app that allows students to manage all their deadlines in one place. Students upload their syllabi to the app and Skoller puts all the information into a calendar that maps out their semester. The app allows users to keep track of upcoming assignments as well as connect with classmates for every syllabus added.

The Skoller team has partnered with the ASU chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi to help raise money for the fraternity's international philanthropy, the Arthritis Foundation.

Courtney West, the director of public relations for Alpha Omicron Pi International Headquarters, said the partnership provides members with academic help in a quick and easy way while also giving back to the Arthritis Foundation.   

Every time the AOII referral code is used to download the Skoller app, $1 is donated to the Arthritis Foundation, and the partnership has raised over $1,700 for AOII’s philanthropy, West said.

“My experience working with the Skoller team has been phenomenal. They are an incredible company with an innovative staff who knows what students need and want to achieve their academic goals,” West said. 

Founder and CEO of Skoller Carson Ward said the app is making it easier than ever for students to keep track of their classes.

After creating Excel spreadsheets to keep up with assignments in college, Ward said he had a bunch of friends asking him to build something similar for them to help keep up with their classes. The idea for Skoller sparked when Ward realized he could create one spreadsheet and share it with the whole class.

The app launched in August 2018 and Skoller has a data entry team responsible for entering and uploading all the information students need.

Ward said they are also working on building a syllabus-reading-robot that will eventually be able to speed up the processing of thousands of syllabi, making the procedure 95 percent automated.

“Students send us their syllabus, we grab the important information off the syllabus and when we're finished they open the app to find everything organized for them,” Ward said.

Logan Matthews, co-founder of Skoller, said the app differs from others because it is run by students.

“We're totally student-powered," Matthews said. "It's an app that is created for students by students because we're solving a problem that we faced ourselves."

By inputting all of the syllabi information into the app for students, Matthews said that Skoller makes it easy to not only become organized, but to stay organized throughout the semester.

“We do all the hard work for you so that you can spend more time doing what you want to do, and in the meantime always know what you have to get done for school,” Matthews said.

ASU freshman studying aerospace engineering, Mitchell Drewsen, said he found Skoller after seeing an ad for the app on Instagram. 

Drewsen said Skoller has helped him immensely in keeping track of all his classes.

“Instead of surfing through all my classes' syllabi individually, I just have to check one source,” Drewsen said. “It is a one-stop syllabus management tool really based around the student, it was really everything I was looking for.”

Matthews said that Skoller aims to help connect classmates on a platform that promotes mutual success. 

“We're trying to build a platform for collaboration among students," he said. "Not just helping the individual students to keep up with their classes, but really connecting them so that it becomes a team effort. We're giving you the ability to have that front row success while having the back row effort.”

Reach the reporter at adehave1@asu.edu and follow @adehave1 on Twitter. 

×