No. 21 ASU women's basketball falters in fourth quarter in loss to No. 6 Oregon

Sun Devils will receive fifth seed in the Pac-12 tournament

110618WomensBasketballIncarnateWord33.jpg

ASU senior forward Kianna Ibis (42) pulls up for a shot against Incarnate Word at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona, on Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2018.

No. 21 ASU women's basketball (19-9, Pac-12 10-7) team could not muster enough scoring in the fourth quarter, losing 66-59 to No. 6 Oregon (27-3, 16-2 Pac-12).

Senior forward Kianna Ibis scored 23 points on 10 of 23 shooting from the field and grabbed eight rebounds.

Junior guard Robbi Ryan chipped in with 12 points on five of six shooting from the field.

Junior guard Sabrina Ionescu scored 19 points, grabbed six rebounds and dished four assists for Oregon. She fought through a tough shooting night, hitting just seven of her 22 shots.

Sophomore forward Satou Sabally scored 18 points on 7 of 11 shooting from the field, hitting three three-pointers.

Senior guard Maite Cazorla scored 17 points on 7 of 10 shooting.

No player from Oregon's bench scored in the game.

The game started as a slug-fest, as both teams shot poorly from the field. But the scoring picked up for both teams, as Oregon shot 64 percent from the field and Arizona State shot 57 percent from the field in the second quarter.

However, after ASU outscored Oregon 21 to 13 in the third quarter, the Sun Devils got outscored 20 to 9 in the fourth quarter, shooting just 3 of 11 in the final period.

Both coach Charli Turner Thorne and her players noted rebounding played the biggest factor in the loss.

"We knew it was going to come down to rebounding, and we did not get the job done on the boards, especially in the fourth quarter," Turner Thorne said. "That was the difference in the game."

While ASU held even with Oregon on the defensive glass, they were out-rebounded 12 to 8 on the offensive glass.

"I think it's just come down to rebounding. The more rebounds you have, the more possessions you have," Ibis said in regards to the common trend in both losses they have suffered to Oregon. "Each possession is so valuable."

Arizona State will end up with the fifth seed in the Pac-12 tournament starting March 7. The Sun Devils needed to win against Oregon and needed Colorado to defeat No. 25 UCLA to gain the fourth seed and a first round bye.

The result of ASU's game would not have mattered, as UCLA crushed Colorado 84-50.

ASU will face Colorado in the first round of the Pac-12 tournament, a team they beat 76-70 and 66-49 in their two meetings this season.

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×