Five ASU affiliates who are using their art to make change in their communities

These Sun Devils' achievements have been highlighted in recent articles by The State Press arts and culture desk

Achievement.jpg

"Highlighting ASU achievements." Illustration published on Sunday, April 7, 2019.

From using mixed-media art for portraying the harmful effects of light pollution to exploring connections between dance and migrant traditions, these students and alumni in arts fields are finding creative ways to leave their marks at ASU. 

These are some of our favorite stories from this year that showcase ASU affiliates using their art to make change.

ASU alumnus-directed music video wins award at Phoenix Indie Film Fest

ASU School of Film, Dance and Theatre alumnus Chuck Sterling won the award for Best Indie Music Video at the Indie Film Fest in Phoenix in February. 

Sterling directed the music video for the band The Color 8, which came out in February 2018 as a reveal for the band’s upcoming tour. 

ASU grad student shines a light on harmful light pollution 

Louise Fisher, a graduate student at ASU's School of Art who moved to Tempe from rural Iowa, uses her art to explore the effects of artificial blue light on residents living in urban cities.

Fisher’s thesis exhibition “Lucid: A Year in Dreams” uses magic lantern installation, mixed-media prints, photography and poetry to portray how light pollution impacts the human body.

ASU alumnus and grant recipient aims to open more pathways for musicians of color

Chaz Salazar, a Mexican American ASU alumnus and flautist, received a grant from The Sphinx Organization’s National Alliance for Audition Support.

The initiative was created to provide support to musicians of color through their audition processes, which can be especially helpful for recent graduates who have yet to build experience. 

The ultimate goal of the initiative is to help increase diversity in American orchestras. 

ASU dance student explores connections between bodies, migrants and traditions

Angeline Young, a masters student studying dance at ASU, is using her research to tell the story of Chinese settlers in Italy through dance. 

Young studies the everyday Chinese practices in Rome and uses dance as a unique approach to examine the movement of the Chinese diaspora in Italy. 

Students climate fiction story looks at environmental issues through a human lens

Leah Newsom, a creative writing graduate student at ASU, wrote the story “Orphan Bird,” which was chosen to be featured in the second volume of ASU’s climate fiction anthology. 

ASU’s “Everything Change: An Anthology of Climate Fiction” is a product of a partnership between Center for Science and the Imagination and the Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing

It combines a variety of styles of short fiction all aimed at describing the environmental issues surrounding climate change through a narrative lens.

Reach the reporter at chofmann@asu.edu and follow @chofmann528 on Twitter.

×