Opinion columns to read this week: From Joe Biden to AirPods

Catch up on the latest controversies and fads in these four opinion pieces

Opinions.jpg

"Must read opinion columns for college students." Illustration published on Monday, Feb. 25, 2019.

As the 2020 presidential election approaches, these opinion columns prove that there is more than meets the eye when it comes to people and current events, sparking controversy across the nation and across college campuses.

Joe Biden is losing his glow | By Roxanne Jones

"The man that many -- including myself -- felt for sure a few months ago was the best person to win back the White House for the Democrats is losing his glow. Biden no longer looks like a sure thing, or even the best option, to topple President Trump."

The former VP became somewhat of a celebrity beyond holding political office, but it seems that this popularity is quickly fading as the year progresses. The rise and fall of his potential presidential campaign is the perfect example of this and also offers an example of what holding officials accountable looks like. 

More and more people are no longer tolerating sly remarks or inappropriate interactions with women. It’s time that social status doesn’t prevent any person from being held accountable for their actions. We need a strong leader in office, and Biden is probably not the man for the job.

Paycheck Fairness Act treats women as victims, not equals | By Christina Sandefur

Women’s rights issues are applicable in many settings, including the work force. The Paycheck Fairness Act brings awareness to the large divide in the treatment of women within the workforce and beyond.

Whether or not you agree with Sandefur’s opinion, one thing that she writes stands true: “Reforms that focus on choice pave the way for all individuals — regardless of sex — to pursue the job of their choice. Women do not need Big Brother to 'help' us — we simply need him to get out of our way.”

I didn’t write this column. I spoke it. | By Farhad Manjoo

AirPods have taken over college campuses and more specifically, college student’s ears. Yet, the same innovative technology that makes cords nonexistent also prevents opportunities for social interaction. Time and time again, I find that although the pros of these ear buds are plenty, the cons are as well. The continuous desire for game-changing technology that pushes the envelope and captures the attention of almost everybody is equal parts promising and concerning. 

“As this distance collapses further — as computers begin to understand our speech and then our thoughts with high fidelity — the internet will cease to be stuck in glass,” Manjoo wrote. 

It took New Zealand 26 days to act on gun control. Congress has been stalling for years. | By the Washington Post Editorial Board

Gun control has been a long-fought battle, especially considering the large number of mass shootings in the U.S. and the rivaling political ideologies that leave many angry and concerned. College campuses especially, with the intermingling of many political beliefs, are a great opportunity for discussion and possible change. Progress begins with conversation and identifying the main issues, including specific organizations' influence.

As the Editorial Board wrote, “There have been some encouraging signs that the gun lobby’s control over lawmakers may be waning in the face of growing effectiveness of grass-roots movements for gun safety. Hopefully, the resolve shown by New Zealand will serve as a model.”

The example that New Zealand has set in its quick response to a national tragedy should be a model for other countries’ solutions to the rising issue of gun control. 

Reach the columnist at mfoxall@asu.edu and follow @mayafoxall on Twitter.

×