ASU swim and dive collects 17 All-American honors at NCAA championships

House, Poti and Runge led the way, combining for eight All-American honors

SwimnDive.jpg

ASU then-sophomore Grant House competes in the Men's 200 freestyle against the University of California at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center on Friday, Jan. 25, 2019.

ASU swim and dive walked away from a three-day meet in the NCAA championships with 17 All-American honors.

Sophomore Grant House and junior Zach Poti led the Devils with three All-American honors each. House earned honors in the 200 free, 400 free relay and 800 free relay races. Poti earned honors in the 100 back, 200 back and 400 free relay.

Poti also won First-Team All-American honors in the 200 back, finishing with a time of 1:40.38, good for eighth place.

Sophomores Carter Swift and Evan Carlson, along with House and Poti, teamed up to finish eighth in the 400 free relay championship final with a time of 2:50.47.  

Swift, Carlson, House and freshman Liam Bresette competed together to place ninth in the 800 free relay championship, finishing with a time of 6:14.76. 

Graduate student David Hoffer and junior Youssef Selim earned All-American honors in the three-meter dive, taking twelfth and sixteenth place, respectively. Selim also finished eleventh in the platform dive to capture his second All-American honor. 

The Sun Devils finished with a score of 75.5 in this year's championships, compared to 45 points last year. 

For the women's team, junior Cierra Runge and junior Silja Kansakoski captured All-American honors.

Runge collected two All-American honors, receiving a First-Team honor when she finished fourth in the 500 free championship final with a time of 4:35.39. She also took third in the 200 free consolation final with a time of 1:43.76.

Kansakoski took fifth place in the 100 free consolation final in 59.43 to capture her only All-American.

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×