ASU hockey goalie Joey Daccord signs NHL deal with Ottawa Senators

Daccord signed a two-year, entry-level NHL contract with the team on Monday

JoeyDaccord
ASU junior goalie Joey Daccord (35) skates around between plays as ASU beats Michigan State 5-4 in Tempe, Arizona on Friday, Nov. 9, 2019.

Just a few days after ASU hockey finished its historic season, junior goaltender Joey Daccord made more history with the program.

Daccord became the first Sun Devil to sign an NHL entry-level deal, agreeing to a two-year contract with the Ottawa Senators, according to an ASU press release on Monday. Daccord was originally drafted in the 2015 NHL Draft to the Senators in the seventh round as a 199th overall pick.

“It is an incredible honor and something I've worked towards my whole life and couldn’t have done it without Arizona State University, coach (Greg) Powers and the entire staff at Sun Devil hockey,” Daccord said in the press release. “I am incredibly thankful for everyone that's been a part of this, including the Ottawa Senators organization.”

Along with being a special day for Daccord, it is also a milestone for the up-and-coming Sun Devil hockey program, which was the first independent to make the NCAA Tournament since Alaska-Anchorage in 1992. 

How this all came to fruition is surreal, Daccord said, who officially signed with the same professional organization that drafted him in 2015.

“It's insane to think about, especially when I committed, Arizona State hadn’t even played a Division I game yet," he said in the press release. "Now to be the first to sign an NHL contract out of ASU is something that I am incredibly proud of."

The North Andover, Massachusetts, native finished his ASU career with a 32-40-7 record, .913 save percentage and 3.07 goals against average. 

Daccord – a 2019 Mike Richter Award finalist – made a name for himself this season with an impressive campaign, where he ranked as one of the best goaltenders in every statistical category, including an NCAA-leading seven shutouts throughout the regular season.

He explained that his time in Tempe shaped him for this new journey.

"I couldn’t have done it without everyone here and Sun Devil Nation," he said. "It's truly an incredible moment.”

Powers gave Daccord high praise as well.

“We couldn’t be more proud of Joey,” Powers said. “Joey came here to set a standard and he did that and more. Joey is a Sun Devil for life and we cannot wait to support him on his journey in the National Hockey League with the Ottawa Senators.”

Daccord will join Ottawa for the final three games in the season, which are at the New York Rangers on Wednesday, at the Buffalo Sabres on Thursday and Saturday at home against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

With the Senators (28-44-6) clearly eliminated from playoff contention, having the worst record in the league, Daccord could find himself playing in his first NHL game extremely soon.

But before he joins the Senators on Tuesday, he had a message for Ottawa fans.

“I'm really excited and looking forward to the opportunity, and can’t wait to get started,” Daccord said. “Go Sens Go.”

Reach the reporter at nahiatt@asu.edu or follow @NATE_HIATT on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×