ASU President Crow writes letter in support of ratifying USMCA

The letter was released by Gov. Doug Ducey to gain support for the agreement

Crow.jpg

ASU President Michael Crow speaks during a meeting on ASU's Tempe campus on Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2018.

ASU President Michael Crow has announced his support for the ratification of the United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement in a letter sent to Gov. Doug Ducey. 

The letter was released by the governor's office along with similar letters from the presidents of UA and NAU on Sept. 10 as part of "the national USMCA Day of Action."

The three letters are in response to a letter Ducey sent to the Arizona congressional delegation on Feb. 28, asking Congress to ratify the USMCA as soon as possible.  

The USMCA is a renegotiated agreement to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. It has been signed by President Donald Trump but still needs congressional ratification before it can take effect. 

In his letter, Crow wrote that the USMCA would provide the foundation for Arizona and Mexico to strengthen their "mutually beneficial" relationship. 

"We at Arizona State University ... are committed to expanding our portfolio of cross-border research collaborations with Mexican counterparts," Crow wrote. "We want Arizonan and Mexican researchers working side by side to help our societies overcome shared challenges, particularly on sustainability and environmental issues that transcend political boundaries."

Ducey said in a press release that the presidents' letters emphasize the economic impact ratifying the USMCA would have on Arizona. 

"I am grateful to President Crow, President Cheng and President Robbins for their leadership on this issue," Ducey said. "Ratifying USMCA will help us continue to strengthen our partnership with Mexico, Arizona’s No. 1 trading partner, and Canada, bringing more jobs, trade and opportunities to Arizona." 

Currently, both Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) and Sen. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.) support the USMCA, according to usmcanow.org. Other members of Arizona's congressional delegation, like Rep. Debbie Lesko (R-Peoria), Rep. David Schweikert (R-Fountain Hills), Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Gilbert)and Rep. Greg Stanton (D-Phoenix) also support the measure, according to the website.

Crow wrote in his letter that Mexico is a good partner for both Arizona businesses and Arizona academic institutions. 

"Our fates are intertwined, and Arizona’s close historical, cultural, economic and demographic ties to Mexico are one of our state’s competitive advantages," Crow wrote.

Trade with Mexico and Canada provide $20 billion combined to the Arizona economy, according to Ducey's office

Editor's Note: This is a breaking news story and will be updated as more information becomes available.

Reach the reporter at krquaran@asu.edu and follow @kiaraquaranta on Twitter. 

×