ASU soccer loses 4-1 against UCF

The Sun Devils dropped their second straight game to fall to 5-2 on the season

_20190901 ASU Women's Soccer vs Weber State 2358.jpg
ASU midfielder Adriana Orozco (7) tries to dodge Weber State defender Isabella Morrison (27) in the second half on Sunday, Sept. 1, 2019, at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona. ASU defeated Weber State 1-0 in overtime.

ASU soccer was unable to get back on the winning trail Thursday, as it dropped its second straight game to the University of Central Florida 4-1.

After a tough 2-1 loss to Oklahoma Sunday in Tempe, the Sun Devils traveled to Orlando to take on UCF. 

A 1-1 halftime tie quickly faded after a barrage of second half goals from the UCF Golden Knights put the game out of reach.

The Golden Knights proved to be far more efficient offensively than the Sun Devils. Nine of UCF's 14 shots were on goal compared to ASU's two shots on goal in nine tries. Four different UCF players found the back of the net Thursday.

ASU's lone highlight came in the 36th minute following a 30th minute goal from UCF's Jessica Taylor. The Sun Devils quickly responded with a goal of their own from freshman midfielder Dai Williams

Williams' third goal of the season was not enough to jump start the offense which has been one of the team's strengths in the early part of the season.

Despite five saves from redshirt senior goalkeeper Sydney Day, UCF's offensive attack was too much to contain.

With this loss, the Devils now fall to 5-2 on the season. Their road trip continues Sunday, Sept. 15 when they take on LSU in Baton Rouge. Start time is set for 10:00 a.m. MST.

Clarification: A previous version of this story called the soccer team the women’s soccer team. It has been updated to reflect the change.

Reach the reporter at pseelams@asu.edu and follow @Hakeem_Prawhat on Twitter. 

×