ASU volleyball plagued by errors, swept by UCLA

Sun Devils' four-game winning streak came to an end Sunday after they lost to the Bruins

ASU Volleyball vs UofA-8.jpg

ASU senior outside hitter Jada Burse (2) spikes the ball in their 3-0 victory over University of Arizona Thursday, Sept. 26, 2019 in the Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona.

The ASU volleyball team (9-4, 1-1 Pac-12) dealt self-inflicted wounds en route to being swept by UCLA (13-25, 14-25, 20-25) on Sunday.

Junior outside hitters Claire Kovensky and Andrea Mitrovic led the Sun Devils with eight and six kills respectively. Senior libero Courtney Leffel led the way defensively with ten digs.

The Sun Devils had trouble controlling the game both offensively and defensively against the Bruins. ASU committed 16 attacking errors and eight reception errors.

Those errors contributed to a .082 hitting percentage, their worst mark in any match this season.

ASU couldn't stop UCLA's Savvy Simo and Mac May from scoring. The two players combined for 27 of UCLA's 42 kills in the match.

May, one of the best hitters in the Pac-12 and currently holding the conference's fourth-best kills per set rate, also scored four service aces for the Bruins.

ASU's loss ended its four-game winning streak, the longest since the team started the 2018 season 5-0. It will also be the team's ninth consecutive loss against UCLA dating back to 2015.

The team will look to regroup before it faces Colorado at home on Friday, Oct. 4 at 7 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×