Game recap: ASU football falls to Colorado in Pac-12 opener

Despite their strongest offensive showing of the season, the Sun Devils drop to 3-1

_MGL5161.jpg

ASU senior wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk (2) runs with the ball in a loss against Colorado 31-34 at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019.

The 24th-ranked ASU football team opened Pac-12 play with a 34-31 loss to the Colorado Buffaloes Saturday night.

Unable to build on its road win over Michigan State and subsequent inclusion in the AP Top 25, ASU still displayed its best offensive performance of the season.

Despite a fourth quarter interception, freshman quarterback Jayden Daniels threw for a season-high 345 yards and two touchdowns, including a 53-yard strike to senior receiver Brandon Aiyuk that opened the scoring for ASU in the second quarter. 

Daniels also hit redshirt junior receiver Frank Darby for a 39-yard score in the fourth.

After allowing only seven points in each of the first three weeks of the season, the Sun Devils quickly found themselves down 14-0 early in the second quarter.

The first of two Eno Benjamin touchdowns knotted up the score at 14-14 later in the second. From then on, the teams traded scores until the Buffaloes kicked the game-winning field goal with 2:03 left. 

Benjamin finished the night with 83 rushing yards.

For Colorado, star receiver Laviska Shenault Jr. left the game in the first half with an undisclosed injury and did not return.

Despite the receiver's absence, CU quarterback Steven Montez threw for 337 yards and three touchdowns, all of which were hauled in by receiver Tony Brown. Brown also totaled 150 yards receiving.

ASU fell to 3-1 on the season. 

Reach the reporter at kmgianco@asu.edu and follow @Kaleb_Mart on Twitter.

×