Game recap: ASU football stuns No. 18 Michigan State in 10-7 thriller

Eno Benjamin scored the Sun Devils' only touchdown on their final drive

ASUvMSUrecap.jpg

ASU freshman quarterback Jayden Daniels (5) walks off the field after the team won its home opener against Kent State on Thursday, Aug. 29, 2019, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. Arizona State defeats Kent State 30-7.

The ASU football team stunned No. 18 Michigan State 10-7 in a tough defensive battle Saturday to improve to 3-0 on the year. The team defeated MSU for the second consecutive season.

ASU’s defense kept the team in the game as the group allowed only one touchdown, recovered a fumble and forced three missed field goals.

Freshman quarterback Jayden Daniels completed 15 of 26 passes for 140 yards. He also rushed 12 times for 37 yards. 27 of those yards came on ASU's final drive, including a 15-yard scamper on 4th and 13 with 1:23 left in the game.

While junior running back Eno Benjamin mustered just 38 rushing yards against MSU's No. 1 ranked rush defense, he ran in the game-deciding touchdown with 50 seconds left. The score was his first rushing touchdown of the year.

On its ensuing drive, Michigan State kicker Matt Coghlin missed his third field goal of the day on the potential game-tying kick with six seconds to go.  

The Sun Devils were gridlocked with the Spartans after the first half. They managed to score just three points, coming on a Cristian Zendejas' field goal.

The defense remained stout through the second half, but surrendered the first touchdown of the game to Spartans' running back Elijah Collins in the fourth quarter.

Collins finished with 72 rushing yards and MSU quarterback Brian Lewerke threw for 291 yards.

ASU's win over Michigan State marks its first win over a ranked opponent this year. 

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×