ASU's 942 Crew Shows What it Means to Have School Spirit

The 942 Crew is a student organization dedicated to supporting Sun Devil Sports

Imani Randle

ASU freshman Callie Darst (#25) Defender/Midfielder watch her teammate's play at the ASU vs. USC Women's Soccer game at the Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona on Thursday, Oct. 3, 2019.

Sun Devil sports teams are always supported by their student sections.  It is the duty of the 942 Crew to organize and promote athletic events.  Jessica Hollock, the Design Committee Chair and Robert Silver, the Game Experience and Student Section Leading Committee Chair spoke about their passion for supporting clubs in the 942 Crew. From the excited crowds to the chants and cheers, the student-run 942 Crew is tasked with bringing the Sun Devil community together. They help get students excited before, during and after each game. 

Jessica Hollock: The 942 Crew is a student-run organization to get students to come to athletic events. 

We have a bunch of different committees like the Curtain of Distraction that try and get people to be seen on TV everything like that. We also just came up with a design committee to promote more graphics and get more eye-catching things out there and everything like that. 

For sports like women's soccer we try and market on campus, hand out flyers, promote on social media —posting on Instagram Twitter Snapchat anything we get to get people to see it and then also invite friends. Just try and come to all of the games as much as possible it really changes the game and kind of gives athletes- makes it all worth it to them.

Robert Silver: Anybody, any student can join the 942 Crew executive board. Doesn't matter what their major is, what year they are. 

What I'm looking for just consistent, good crowds to make the games more fun and enjoyable for the rest of the fans, our student athletes and anybody involved with athletics. 

It has a big impact. Some of them I have gotten to know personally just through our interactions at games marketing, they're very thankful for what we do because we truly do have an impact on those games we attend. It brings them a whole new energy that they don't normally get when they don't have many people there. 

Reach the reporter at rtisminezky@gmail.com or follow @tisminezky on Twitter. 

×