Sun Devils earn No. 2 spot in Golfstat's 2020 women's golf rankings

The Sun Devils have compiled three top-five finishes so far in 2019 en route to the No. 2 spot

Golf

ASU then-freshman Madison Kerley sinks the putt on the ninth green Friday, April 8, 2016, during the 2016 Ping ASU Invitational at Karsten Golf Course in Tempe, Arizona.

The ASU women’s golf team has jumped to No. 2 in the nation according to the latest Top 25 NCAA Division I rankings released by Golfstat.

The Sun Devils have capitalized on a difficult schedule in the 2019-20 fall semester, compiling three top 5 tournament finishes including a first place win at the Stanford Intercollegiate earlier this week.

The team put together an impressive final round in northern California, and finished with a final score of -10 (842) to earn the title.

Notably, ASU finished five strokes ahead of tournament host Stanford University, which sits at the No. 1 spot in the Golfstat standings.

The Sun Devils have put together an impressive set of statistics through their first three tournaments including an adjusted scoring average of 71.15, which is the fifth best among the top 25 Division I schools.

Freshman Linn Grant has proven to be a powerful addition to the lineup in her first semester with ASU, earning a top 10 placement across all three tournaments played so far.

The native of Sweden earned a score of -6 (207) at the Stanford Intercollegiate which ranked her third on the player leaderboard. She was joined in the top five by teammate Raquel Olmos, a junior.

Grant has averaged an impressive -3.7 (211.3) score in 2019 and was recently named in Golfweek's top 15 for consideration of the ANNIKA Award — given once per year to the top female U.S. collegiate golfer.

The Sun Devils will begin their final tournament of 2019 on Nov. 4, when they travel to Kailua Kona, HI to compete in the Pac-12 Women’s Preview at Nanea Golf Club.

The prestigious event will feature other top 25 teams such as Stanford, Arizona and Oregon, and will round out the fall semester for ASU before their first spring semester tournament in January.

Reach the reporter at hcroton@asu.edu or follow @thecrote on Twitter. 

×