No. 1 ASU men's golf ties for fourth at the Fighting Irish Classic

Seven Sun Devils competed in the tournament, contributing to another top five finish

Cameron Sisk Golf

ASU sophomore Cameron Sisk putts the ball towards a hole at the Mirabel Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2019.

The No. 1 ranked ASU men’s golf team tied for fourth place in the Fighting Irish Classic this week, marking yet another top five tournament finish in 2019-20.

The Sun Devils featured seven players at Warren Golf Course in Notre Dame, Indiana, five of whom competed in the team segment and two who participated as individuals.

Sophomore Cameron Sisk, senior Chun (Kevin) An Yu, junior Won Jun Lee, sophomore James Leow and senior Blake Wagoner competed as part of ASU’s five man lineup.

Freshman Ryggs Johnston and junior Mason Andersen, both of whom have been a part of team lineups at prior tournaments this season, competed individually.

The Sun Devils finished 11 over par and compiled a final team score of +11 (863) across the two day event.

Tournament host No. 12 Notre Dame finished atop the leaderboard with a score of -16 (836), followed by the University of North Carolina and the University of Iowa.

ASU notched 165 pars in three rounds, which tied them for fourth among all teams. They also amassed 41 birdies and two eagles, ranking them second in total eagles under Notre Dame.

Andersen and Johnston both placed in the top 10 as individuals, with Andersen compiling an impressive score of -6 (207) to tie him for second on the player leaderboard. He was also second in stroke average on par 4s with an average of 3.88 (-4).

"The course was all about placement and course management — making sure you give yourself the best chance on the next shot to pull it off," Andersen said. "I just made sure I missed shots on the correct side of the hole and didn't put myself in prison."

Johnston finished two under par with a score total of 211. The freshman is averaging a score of -2.5 (210.5) over his last two tournaments.

Warren Golf Course presented quite a challenge for those in the competition with just two teams scoring under par when all was said and done.

“It’s playing pretty tough — (you) can’t short sight yourself,” Leow said after day one. “(The) greens are small and you have to be hitting it great.”

Next on the docket for the Sun Devils is the Tavistock Collegiate Invitational in Windermere, Florida, their final competition of the fall semester.

Reach the reporter at hcroton@asu.edu or follow @thecrote on Twitter. 

×