Report: ASU quarterback Dillon Sterling-Cole intends to transfer

The quarterback is set to leave the program after losing the starting job to freshman Jayden Daniels in August

_20190829 ASU Football vs Kent State 0363.jpg

ASU redshirt junior quarterback Dillon Sterling-Cole (15) walks on the field during warmups before a game against Kent State on Thursday, Aug. 29, 2019 at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. 

ASU redshirt junior quarterback Dillon Sterling-Cole has informed coaches of his intentions to leave the program and enter the transfer portal, according to Doug Haller of The Athletic.

The announcement comes after losing the starting job to freshman Jayden Daniels in August and participating on special teams and the scout team this season.  

Sterling-Cole arrived in Tempe in 2016 before redshirting his sophomore season in 2017. The signal caller passed for 388 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions in his ASU career.

His first and lone start came against Oregon in 2016, when he threw for 302 yards, a touchdown and three interceptions. He became the fifth true freshman in the program's history to start a game at quarterback.

The start came when the team was hit with injuries to its quarterback corps. The group included current NFL quarterback Manny Wilkins, Virginia quarterback Bryce Perkins and Memphis quarterback Brady White.

Sterling-Cole had been listed third on the team's depth chart.

With the news, all three of ASU's current scholarship quarterbacks, Daniels, Joey Yellen and Ethan Long, are freshmen. 

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×